HOW CAN I FIND A QUALIFIED REPAIRER

serres 17:54 27 May 09

I don't have the knowledge or patience to sort my PC short of handing it over to a shop assistant how can I find a qualified competent person to sort it?

Accountants and Lawyers have reliable institutes as do many types of engineers etc but hta about IT 'experts'

howard64 18:03 27 May 09

the unfortunate thing is that most 'it' repair places either have very good software or a gifted amateur. They mainly follow a script try this then this etc. After a given time they will just copy your data to another device and reload your op system and copy back your data. Assuming a non functioning piece of hardware they simply substitute a known good one for a part of yours until all is running again. I could recommend some repair people that at least do not rip you off but without knowing your location it is a bit pointless.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:26 27 May 09

Give us a clue!!

First diagnose the fault -

Can you break it down to a software or hardware fault?

Not easy in the case of PCs as some hardware needs the software to make it work

Software -
Corruption drivers is usually a matter of uninstall / reinstall / update the driver.
Program corruption of a matter of uninstall clean registry and reinstall program and retry.

Hardware -
PCs are modular so it most cases it swap for a known good part
Knowing how parts interact means you can elimate some modules as not part of the problem and concentrate on those that cold be then so it most cases it swap for a known good part and see if it makes a difference.

Unfortunately you do need patience with computer repairs.

laurie53 20:14 27 May 09

Try "Which? Local", which is all personal recommendations.

You may be lucky.

serres 20:25 27 May 09

NE London

Gave up on BT limiting me to 1.9mbps off peak switched to Virgin. Always used protection especially as a virgin!!!!!

Problem may predate switch but using XP SP3 both IE7 and Firefox loading v slow and googlemaps loads my local page OK then effectively hangs when I try new location. All sites then v slow to load incl email.

Re loaded Active X etc no change.

Answer prob to reformat disc and reload everything but I haven't the patience and could be hardware

octal 20:43 27 May 09

I'm in NE London as well, if you are on the Waltham Park server it can be a bit flakey at times, my 10MB connection often goes down to 2MB, I've given up worrying about it now because I know nothing will be done.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:18 27 May 09

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…