How can I find out what kind of memory I have ?

domtheboy 22:33 18 Jan 03
  domtheboy 22:33 18 Jan 03

Hi to all of you

This is probably a really stupid question, but I want to upgrade the memory that I have in my PC. I currently have 2 sticks of 256 MB memory and want to install double this (1024 MB).

However, I have no idea whether it is SD Ram, DIMM etc, and I've been hunting through all the system diagnostics to try to find out. Can anybody help me ?

Cheers !

siarad 22:38 18 Jan 03

Belarc Advisor don't know where try a 'search' here, laughs hysterically

howard60 22:39 18 Jan 03

open the case and look at what you have. there should be some markings on the memory and if you do not know the difference between sd and ddr you can measure them. enter the details into google.

cracker23 22:46 18 Jan 03

click here run the complete test and it will tell you all about your system including what memory you have

domtheboy 22:46 18 Jan 03

Okay, which is the larger of the two, SD or DDR ?

domtheboy 22:49 18 Jan 03

"siarad Sat, 18.01.03 | 22:38
Belarc Advisor don't know where try a 'search' here, laughs hysterically "

Why thank you so much for your condescending attitude.....

To everyone else - thanks very much for your help.

jazzypop 22:58 18 Jan 03

I think you have completely misunderstood siarad's post.

Regular visitors will know that there has been a long-running thread regarding the changes to the 'search' facilities on this site. It is obvious to me that he was taking a side-swipe at how difficult it will be now (since the changes) to finding any references to Belarc Advisor, whereas previously it would have been simple for you (or he) to find a reference and a download link.

You do not endear yourself by making ill-informed snap judgements.

Belarc Advisor, as siarad says, will do the job you are after quickly and easily. It is available from click here

domtheboy 23:07 18 Jan 03

I completely agree - I was too quick to respond negatively. Please accept my sincerest apologies, sorry !

Have been given the runaround by some less sympathetic advice sites which will remain nameless, so was getting a little frustrated.

By the way, thanks to cracker23 - I'm using the facility you mentioned now.

siarad 09:46 19 Jan 03

Sorry I was getting very frustrated at the new 'search' facility not working & PCA refusing to say how to use it. Thanks for the e-mail no offence was taken as I saw what happened. Hopefully you've found the RAM type now.

Psiman 10:11 19 Jan 03

To go back to your original post, no it's NOT a really stuipd question to ask. If you're not quite familiar with the insides of your PC, the different types of RAM available can be daunting.

However, are you sure you need to upgrade to 1GB RAM? You probably won't detect much increase in performance over your present installed 512MB even running WinXP.

Good luck

siarad, jazzypop.......:-)Things can only get better.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…