How can I find my IP address in Windows XP?

CurlyWhirly 12:21 13 Jul 04

I want to try out a security test and a IP address is shown on my screen but a message says that I may be on a proxy server (as I am with AOL).
How can I find out my REAL IP address?
CW

CurlyWhirly 12:27 13 Jul 04

As a follow up to my last thread under NETWORK CONNECTIONS > 'the internet (2)' > 'general' there is an IP address with the following info 'Host name or IP address of destination'
Is this my REAL IP address?
CW

Diodorus Siculus 12:28 13 Jul 04

Here's How:

1. Click the Start menu button on the Windows taskbar.

2. Click Run... on this menu.

3. Type cmd in the text box that appears. A command prompt window launches on the desktop.

4. In this command window, type ipconfig /all. Details are shown for each of the computer's network adapters. Computers installed with VPN software or emulation software will possess one or more virtual adapters.

5. The IP Address field states the current IP address for that network adapter.

6. The Physical Address field states the MAC address for that adapter.

gudgulf 12:35 13 Jul 04

Try this--from start pick run.Type in cmd and press return,in the command box that opens type ipconfig and return.This will display your current ip address.
Just bear in mind that unless you are on a network with a fixed ip address it will change each time you connect to the internet ( that may just apply to dial up,I'm not 100% sure about this)

CurlyWhirly 12:36 13 Jul 04

Diodorus Siculus

Thanks for that - however I am still not sure which is my IP address as when I run the CMD command I have 2 PPP adapters (WAN PPP/SLIP interface) listing a different IP address in each case so how do I know which one is mine?
CW

gudgulf 12:37 13 Jul 04

Sorry just repeating your advice.....a plague on my slow typing!!!lol

CurlyWhirly 12:45 13 Jul 04

Diodorus Siculus and Gudgulf

I have followed your advice but as I am with AOL (which I think uses multiple servers) how can I find out for sure my real IP address as I have 2 PPP adapters?
Is it normal to have 2 PPP adapters?
CW

gudgulf 12:53 13 Jul 04

Not sure on this.I use virgin and show only one ppp adapter.

Are yours both listed as aol?.....I would be tempted to try your security test with both the ppp adapter addresses.See what happens.

Smegs 12:54 13 Jul 04

CurlyWhirly, goto control panel, open Network Connections, and click which ever modem you are using. You'll get a window come up and then goto the General Tab. On this page is Server IP Address and Client IP address.

Smegs 13:00 13 Jul 04

Sorry, that should be the "DETAILS" Tab.

CurlyWhirly 13:15 13 Jul 04

Smegs

I can't do what you say as under BT VOYAGER 100 ADSL MODEM it says disconnected and I cant even get properties menu up by right clicking it with mouse as I think I read somewhere that AOL have disabled it so that people cant alter the settings?
CW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…