How can I easily install Ubuntu on the Acer One?

bengreenslade 18:04 17 Aug 08

Hi,
I am considering to install the Ubuntu Linux Operating system on my Acer Aspire One, rather than having the preinstalled Linpus Linux.
The only problem I am having is the fact that i do not know how to actually install ubuntu onto it, obviously without it having an optical drive it is not a simple download burn to a CD and format.

Therefore I Was wondering can anyone tell me of an easy method which I can install it onto the internal SSD and not need to buy any external hardware.

One final puzzle I have is, does everything work on ubuntu such as the webcam and the hardware etc?
I would appreciate anyone who can help me out

Thanks
Ben

LastChip 20:53 17 Aug 08

First make a backup of your present system. That is *essential* because if things don't work according to plan, you will need to reinstall to factory standard.

Next, do a search on the Internet for a version of Ubuntu that was designed for the Asus Eee.

Load that on to a USB stick and make it bootable. Sorry, but you're going to have to search for that information.

I've seen Ubuntu running successfully on an Eee - complete with a full implementation of Compiz, but whether it will run on a One, I don't know.

woodchip 21:07 17 Aug 08

Why not first try it as a Live CD before you go the fill hog and load it to you drive? it works from the CD click here

woodchip 21:19 17 Aug 08

I see the above is one of these super mobile Laptops no CD drive. As above load it to a USB memory stick

woodchip 21:42 17 Aug 08

If you run it from a Memory Stick you will need to change the BIOS to boot from USB Memory stick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…