How can I delete excess comms ports

bigal1808 08:59 02 Jan 10

I'm running xp pro on a home-build pc which does not have any comms ports.
What I'm trying to do is update the firmware on my Humax 9200 pvr. I've done other updates in this way in the past.
I've already downloaded the update, and I have got the Humax program to run it - WDN40AK+
Because I don't have any coms ports, I use a usb to comm adapter lead, and when I connect it, the new hardware wizard sets it up and assigns a new com number to it - so far, I'm up to com7.
The problem is, WDN40 only gives me a choice of com1 to com4.
So, how can I delete all these spurious, surplus ports. Are they in the registry, and if so, where?
thanks
Allan

johndrew 10:28 02 Jan 10

This may help resolve your problem click here

johndrew 10:31 02 Jan 10

Whoops. I gave you the Help page. This is the download click here

bigal1808 11:42 03 Jan 10

johndrew - thanks for your help - I didn't use the program, I tried 'Beta's suggestion first and it worked.

Beta - thanks - everything is great now - the fix is in and working.
I couldn't get your first line - without the quotes - to work, but the 2nd line opened the device manager for me - then I uninstalled all the excess, re-started, and my usb lead came up as com4 - just what I wanted.
The only thing that puzzled me was that I've been in device manager before, via control panel,system,hardware, but I couldn't delete them - but that was without a restart - maybe that was the reason.
Anyway - all done - brilliant.
Big thank you to everyone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…