How can I create a password or whatever on WinXP?

Triprajul 13:38 06 May 10

Greetings:
My wife and I are going on vacation this summer. For security reasons and due to past incidents in our building, my wife wants me to lock up our computer in a trunk so that it can’t be used for any nefarious purposes during our absence. However, I would just like to put some type of password on our computer so that no one can use it during our absence. I use Windows XP(S2) and any advice given is greatly appreciated.

johndrew 14:08 06 May 10

Why not go to "Control Panel/User Accounts" select the account(s) you want to secure and click on "Create a password". You can create a single password which you can use for each account or a different one for each.

The only password alternative I can think of is to create a password in BIOS click here. However, these can be broken by simply removing/refitting the CMOS battery.

Another way of securing your PC is to remove the HDD and lock it away safely.

Sea Urchin 14:13 06 May 10

.....and make sure you then don't forget the password when you return from your vacation. You can create a password reset disk (on same screen under Related Tasks - Prevent a Forgotten password) but obviously don't leave that with the computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…