how can i copy text from a pdf doc??

laptopdunce 10:47 18 Mar 14

Not sure if I am posting in the right forum? I have been sent a pdf doc. format manual from a czech company but in Czech language, its for a sewing machine, I want to copy sections of the text and use google translate to translate it, my question is: how do I copy and paste sections of the text to use on google translate? it lets me highlight the text section but it wont allow me to "drop" the text, paste it into a word document page or notepad or any other place where I can save sections of the text alone (the manual is compiled of diagrams and blocks of text on each page, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

BRYNIT 11:11 18 Mar 14

May be a silly question but after highlighting text did you right click with mouse button and select copy.

laptopdunce 13:40 18 Mar 14

well, its kindas strange it doesnt actually copy and paste inside the pdf doc. when you hold the mouse with right click down it doenst highligh each line of text but rather opens a kind of "window" that grows with a + type cursor around the text, you cant click it to copy at all, there must be a way to extract the text to a word doc or notepad page to be able to highlight "just" the text, I cant figure this out at all, I am using an XP laptop thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

lotvic 14:22 18 Mar 14

"it lets me highlight the text section"

What program are you using to view/read the .pdf?

bumpkin 14:42 18 Mar 14

If you open it with adobe, click "file" and from the menu "save as text" you can copy and paste from there.

laptopdunce 14:55 18 Mar 14

It says "adobe reader" when I open the document and in my programmes file in control panel it says I have adobe reader XI (11.0.06) thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

bumpkin 15:55 18 Mar 14

adobe X1, open pdf, click "file" select "save as other" then "text"

laptopdunce 16:42 18 Mar 14

I did that and it only saved it in docs as a notepad txt page but with nothing on it at all when I went and opened the notepad doc. LAPTOPDUNCE

bumpkin 18:12 18 Mar 14

That puzzles me, I have just tried it myself on an XP PC and it worked fine. Did you look for it in "My Recent Documents" or just click notepad.

laptopdunce 18:42 18 Mar 14

when I open the document as a pdf and then click on file and then save as other and then I get and option for "text" or "word excel or other" so I click on Text and that brings up my documents folder and the file name is the name of the machine manual and then "save as type" and it has "Text (accessible) (*txt) and when i click on save it just saves a small *txt notepad file but there is nothing in it LAPTOPDUNCE

lotvic 18:45 18 Mar 14

It's possible the .pdf is copy protected.

Can you tell us the sewing machine make and model, someone may know where to get the English version of the manual.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant