HOW CAN I BE SURE?

liloldlady 08:57 02 Apr 11

Hi, I am about to buy a new laptop and I want one with plenty of memory because I use Photoshop CS2 a lot and my present laptop keeps freezing, I assume because of memory. I even started turning it off of the internet when using photoshop and all other programs, but it still freezes after about half an hour. It isnt that old (2 years) and said it had 2GB DDR memory, but I come to find out that it only actually has 2048 so how do I know what constitutes a lot of memory because they all say either 1, 2, 3 or 2 GB and that's not trus is it?.....Thanks

Kevscar1 09:00 02 Apr 11

Yes it it 2048mb is 2gb.

liloldlady 09:04 02 Apr 11

But why then does it say 2 GIGS on the box etc?
It is really quite confusing, and would you know what is a good amount of RAM.

Diemmess 09:18 02 Apr 11

You might find answer to the overload problem in searching through all the other things that load at boot-up!
Or perhaps your malware protection? Some of the latter can be very hungry on resources.

Perhaps you have already leaned out the programs which load on startup, but are still unused when you shut down.

If you list here your antivirus and firewall programs, together with any programs in msconfig >Startup tab - where perhaps you are uncertain of what they do.
I'm sure others in this forum would then give definitive advice.

Forum Editor 09:25 02 Apr 11

and it would serve no purpose to get into an involved explanation of computer memory terms.
For our purposes suffice it to say that a Gigabyte consists of 1024 Megabytes.

In general terms it has always been said that the more RAM a computer has the better, as long as the operating system can address it. A modern laptop running Windows 7 will routinely have 2Gb of RAM installed, and some have more.

For practical purposes, proceed on the basis that there's not much point in having more than 4Gb installed in a Windows 7 32bit version machine, and even then your computer will only use 3.25Gb. If you opt for the 64bit version you can have more.

Explaining why only 3.25Gb out of 4 will be used is technical and more boring than watching concrete set. Photoshop CS2 will be quite happy with 4Gb, but remember that manipulating large image files is memory and processor intensive, and you mustn't expect lightning-fast performance.

onthelimit1 09:26 02 Apr 11

1024Mb = 1Gb. It's a bit like saying a tin can hold 8 pints or 1 gallon. There's nothing misleading about it, it's just using two different measures for the same quantity.

liloldlady 09:35 02 Apr 11

Thanks for explaining all this, I do understand a bit more now.....

Diemmess 12:46 02 Apr 11

There still remains a problem -

"my present laptop keeps freezing." How much freezing Is it bad enough to have to switch off or reboot?

Related to this is the fact that the computer is only 2 years old and if the problem has developed fairly recently then there has to be a software clash or too many applications competing for CPU time and RAM space. (See my first post.)

Which version of Windows are you using? 2Gb is adequate for most versions up to XP, though if the computer motherboard can take it, up to 4Gb will make a useful difference, but do look for unnecessary competition from stuff which needn't be running from the start.

David4637 14:13 02 Apr 11

It could be that the laptop is full of dust and the cooling system is clogged - this can cause freezing particularly on a laptop, I have had this happen albeit on a 7 year old. I blew out the vents and it was OK again.
David

961 14:37 02 Apr 11

I too think it's too easy to assume freezing is caused by lack of memory

Like David4637 I think it may well be much more to do with heat

Make sure it is used standing on a hard surface and that all ventilation holes are clear without any dust

Remove all programmes that are unnecessary, particularly those that start automatically at boot up

Run ccleaner and defrag hard drive

Make sure hard drive has plenty of clear space

Lack of memory is, I suggest, likely to cause slow running, but should not necessarily cause freeze

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:47 02 Apr 11

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages (can't do much about on a laptop)

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off (shouldn't affect if running off battery)

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially graphics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017