How can he get scanreg to run?

QualBob 11:07 21 Feb 05

Hi geniuses!

My son has managed to get his ME comp not to boot. He was uninstalling file-sharing software with other progs open. Computer hangs before safe mode stage can be accessed. ME rescue disk reports 'bad command or filename' when he tries to run scanreg from the dos prompt. Scandisk has run with a full surface scan with no problems.

He has a new drive without an operating system so I thought a way in here would be to load XP on that drive - but setup command prompts - 'this needs to be run from within windows' . SO any ideas how to get in to ME's system restore or get scandisc to run given the above? -or to get XP on the new drive? Floppy and cd support are ok with the rescue disk.

Mango Grummit 11:15 21 Feb 05

Reboot using the Windows ME startup disk, then select Minimal Boot. At the A:> prompt, type C: to go the C:\ prompt, then type:-

NOTE there is a gap between scanreg &/
scanreg /restore

and press Enter. Make sure you include the space between scanreg and the forward stroke. You'll then see five earlier Windows versions by date to restore from. Make your choice using the cursor keys (those marked Started are ready for use), press Enter and follow the on screen instructions to restore the registry to that version. Then restart to return to the desktop.

M

Mango Grummit 11:19 21 Feb 05

Reboot using the Windows ME startup disk, then select Minimal Boot. At the A:> prompt, type C: to go the C:\ prompt, then type:- scanreg /restore

sorry 'bout that!

M

QualBob 11:36 21 Feb 05

Thanks for that suggestion - he is at Uni so I have emailed it on - he is picking up emails via another comp -will keep you posted.

QualBob 22:54 21 Feb 05

Hi there Mango

He tried scanreg with the space and still got the 'bad command or file name' message. He's now pursuing loading XP on his new drive - once he has partitioned it...
Thanks for your help
Qualbob

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…