How big should the page file be with 2GB?

BigMoFoT 19:01 10 Jan 06

Is a page file necessary with 2GB of physical memory? I'm competent enough to change the settings but just want to find out what everyone else with 2GB does with their page file? Do you leave it system managed or do you customise it?

Cheers

MoFo

Mr Mistoffelees 19:04 10 Jan 06

I set my pagefile at 512MB and all seems to be well.

Chegs ®™ 19:06 10 Jan 06
  BigMoFoT 19:06 10 Jan 06

recommended that your page file be around 1 and a half times your physical memory amount - is not a bit low Mr Mistoffelees?

Mr Mistoffelees 19:39 10 Jan 06

There seems to be an element of disagreement between those two links. The first one however seems to be more likely to be authoritative.

Chegs ®™ 20:01 10 Jan 06

The last few times I've offered these links as reading for PF questioners,the second link has been the one that most folks agreed was the most informative and conclusive.Still,its nice to see an occasional variance in opinions. ;-))

gudgulf 21:29 10 Jan 06

I've got 2GB of RAM too............my page file is fixed and is also 2GB.

The reason......32bit Windows can address a total of 4 GB in total....so that's what it gets!.That's probably not a very good reason but it will do for me.

For most use you will find no difference between setting a small page file like Mr Mistoffelees or a large one like mine.Even when running a game (Quake4) at maximum everything with other programs running in the background the most I have seen registered in Task Manager is 2.3GB peak memory use (although this is getting perilously close to the limit of Mr Mistoffalees' setting)

The only thing I would recommend is that you DO run with a page file.....Windows and many other programs are designed to use it if necessary.

DieSse 21:54 10 Jan 06

By far the best way to run the page file is to set it so that Windows manages it for itself.

SG Atlantis® 21:59 10 Jan 06

mines set at 2000mb on c drive and d drive.

Because of this windows will opt by design to use the page file on d first which means c drive is left alone boosting performance.

Mr Mistoffelees 16:45 11 Jan 06

Nobody can agree on how best to set the pagefile!

Chegs ®™ 17:04 11 Jan 06

I can agree with DieSse that windows is best left to its own,but I have been running my PC's with no PF for the last few years with no problem,and only recently switched PF on then to another drive which has been cfg'ed for windows management and manually.In all configurations,there has been no noticable difference in my PC's performance and I think I've covered most bases with usage from gaming to video and office apps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…