how big the paging file?

ZEROTOLERANCE 18:35 10 Nov 04

what should the size of the paging file be?

i ask because some times it can take upto ""2"" mins for a folder explorer window to show its contents
and it seems to whirr every time i ask it to do any thing. the comps only 14mths old, and ive cleaned the whole comp with adaware, spybot, spysweeper, avg, CWshredder, CCCleaner, a2, Ultra wincleaner, Regseeker, easy cleaner,tune up utilities, & fixblast.
ive tried raising the paging file, and lowering it.

None of which has made any difference,

At the moment the C/drive initial size is 520 & max size 600mb

the second hard drive has initial size 540mb & max size 640mb
im using win xp pro 512 RAM
2 Hard Drives

C/ drive partioned into two c/drive =10gb
F/drive =10gb

2nd Hard drive 160gb divided into 3 paritions

Thanx

ZT

iambeavis 18:46 10 Nov 04

Taken from the "Optimise XP" website. -

Set A Static Page File Size
Virtual Memory acts like a second source of RAM. When you run low on Physical RAM your PC uses an allocated space on your hard drive to increase memory. Virtual Memory is much slower than Physical RAM. Windows XP is set to use a dynamic Page File that will resize during system operation consuming resources. A good rule of thumb is to set the minimum and maximum to 1.5 times the amount of Physical RAM you have. This works well as long as the 1.5 total is not greater than 512MBs. Any larger and it might even slow your system down. If you have over 512MB of RAM set the page file to 256MB.

Tweak - Go to "Start", "Settings", "Control Panel", "System", "Advanced" tab, in the "Performance" section select "Settings", "Advanced" tab, in the "Virtual Memory" section select "Change", change the "Initial Size" and "Maximum Size" to the same size then select "Set" and "OK".

Notes - If you are getting low memory errors then you need to add more RAM to your PC. Increasing the Page File to accommodate the low memory situation should only be considered a temporary solution. Using additional Virtual Memory over System RAM will reduce performance. It is a good idea to have at least 512MB-1GB of RAM in a PC today. A simple test to determine if you need more RAM is to use you PC for a whole day without rebooting, then look at the Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete), Performance tab. If the "Commit Charge - Peak" is ever higher then the "Physical Memory - Total" your system could benefit from adding more RAM.

Dorsai 18:51 10 Nov 04

My page file set with the min and max size the same.

That way, regardsless of how much space is needed in the file, it does not need to be enlarged or shrunk.

It just sits there at 3Gb (the max XP will allow me to set it at). I have one gig ram, and am currently using around 300Mb in the page file.

I think it helps to put the page file off the C:\ drive, mine on D:\, as D:\ has nothing on it but the page file, it can't become fragmented, nor can it cause the OS files to fragment, by getting in the way.

Of course, it does not mean that your problems are anything to do with your page file setup, as you say making changes to it dont help.

The problem may lie alsewhere.

ZEROTOLERANCE 19:06 10 Nov 04

ok thanx guys, il try and seee how it behaves,

p.s.

what about the setting

let system manage page file

whats that for?

ZT

ZEROTOLERANCE 19:09 10 Nov 04

also, shall i remove the second hard drives page file then? if i only need 1.5 of the 512mbRAM

iambeavis 19:28 10 Nov 04

"Let System Manage Pagefile" means that Windows does it for you.
"shall i remove the second hard drives page file then?". Try without and if there is a deterioration then replace it.

The Spires 20:08 10 Nov 04

Your problem is unlikely to be anything to do with your page file. System managed size will usually allocate twice your RAM memory size. I have used XP with a Gig of memory with no page file at all without a problem. As mentioned above it makes good sense to have your page file on another drive other than C:\.

BillEmm 20:32 10 Nov 04

Windows XP includes an option that allows you to run the OS without the paging file. However, selecting this option may cause memory errors, so it isn't recommended.

In fact, the system will perform much better if you configure the paging file for optimal performance.

Here are some paging file optimisation points:

- If you have more than one hard drive (not partition) you can split the paging file between these drives. Alternatively, you can put the paging file on the hard drive that doesn't hold the OS, especially if that disk is faster. NB. There is no point in putting it on a HDD that is in constant use - particularly one used for streaming data, and splitting the PF between disks will not improve performance but it does provide an option where disk space may be at a premium.

- Don't put paging files on different partitions that belong to the same physical hard drive. This will severely hinder performance.

- If you know the optimal paging file size for the system, set the initial and maximum size to the same value. This will prevent the paging file from growing and fragmenting.

The general rule of thumb is to set a value that is 1.5 time your RAM size. Users with low RAM might consider 2 times while those with 1GB or above of memory will find no benefit in such multiples and, for the time being, should set the PF to 1 x RAM (max).

- Use Task Manager and Performance Monitor to monitor the paging file and RAM usage. Since memory prices have dropped, you should always have plenty of RAM. In fact, this is the best thing you can do to maximise your performance and optimise your paging file.

- Before you create a new paging file, defragment your hard drive. If this is not done then any changes to the PF will only remove space from your hard drive without producing any performance gain.

Follow these steps to change your paging file settings:

1. Right-click My Computer and select Properties.
2. Go to the Advanced tab.
3. Select Performance and click Settings.
4. In the Performance Options dialog box, go to the Advanced tab.
5. Click Change within the Virtual Memory section.
6. The Virtual Memory dialog box displays all paging file settings. Make your changes - ensuring that the max and min values are the same, click Set, and reboot.

ZEROTOLERANCE 13:15 09 Dec 04

thanx every one for their advice, ive moved the page file to x/ drive which is 80gb, since then its been working fine.

thanx again

ZT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…