how big does my power supply have to be?

Benzo 21:51 14 Sep 04

i currently have a 250w psu and i am not sure if i need to upgrade - and if soo how much?

i have:
amd athlon 2000+,
512 ddr,
dvd-rw, cd-rw, dvd rom
120gig 7200rpm HDD
tv card, 64mb agp, lan, modem
and lots of lights

also can any one reccomend any good psu's?

Benzo F.

Diodorus Siculus 21:58 14 Sep 04

You are probably ok for the moment if you are not experiencing any problems; another heavy duty PCI card might take you over the top though.

IF you get a new one (sorry, no suggestions) go for a quiet one. It will make a big difference.

Benzo 22:02 14 Sep 04

i will definatly have to upgrade if i want an amd 3000+ 64 though rite? i will try to get a quiet one has any one got any powersupplys that they use and like? tell me - i may be interested

Benzo F.

carver 22:32 14 Sep 04

If you are after a quite PSU have a look here click here they are very quite and the power rails give reliable and steady voltage. One other word of advice go for the highest rating you can afford, it will pay in the long term.

Benzo 22:36 14 Sep 04

bit expensive but thanx n e way

carver 22:36 14 Sep 04

Sorry wrong link try this one it,s a bit cheaper click here

Benzo 22:39 14 Sep 04

i think that is a bit more reasonable pricing - ill look into it!!
thanks again

Graham ® 10:11 15 Sep 04

PSU calculator click here

jimv7 10:59 15 Sep 04

You have been very lucky so far, AMD recommend a minimum of 300watts to run any athlon cpu.

Go for at least a 400+ wattage which will give a bit of leeway for any future additions to your computer.

Whaty 12:48 15 Sep 04

I bought a 400w dual fan Q-Tec (Gold) for £18 brand new at a computer fair, they are a similar price on-line if you shop around. I've had mine 6 or 7 months now and bought it based on several reviews, it isn't quiet but it's not bad either. Q-Tec do a 'quiet' version for about £5 more. I really shopped around at the time and pound for pound this was the best quality I could find. Some I looked at, even more expensive models where quite flimsy and not that well put together, the materials just looked cheap...

Hope this helps, good luck.

carver 21:16 15 Sep 04

Have a look at this before deciding it makes interesting reading click here remember you only get what you pay for and if you want a quite reliable PSU they are not cheap.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…