How big can my rj45 network be/

pavel 23:33 08 Jul 03

I want to network 5 computers, 4 are close together ie in one small office . But the other one is 50 metres as the "wire fly's" away, as this one is going to be my "broadband" input computer complete with router/network hub. The idea being to utilise the BT phone connection in the remote office and then network the "broadband" from the remote office to my main office where my other 4 computers are.
The question is can a network cable work over that distance (50 metres of cable)and if so would it be possible to make broadband available to my other 4 computers in this way? OR is there a BETTER WAY?
Pavel

AndySD 23:53 08 Jul 03
  LastChip 23:55 08 Jul 03

To answer the second part of your question first, you can run a RJ45 cable up to 100m in length.

Now consider the first part.

If you are going to use a Router, all your computers need to connect to it, therefore, placing the router at the furthest distance from the main "batch of four" doesn't make too much sense. The Router aught to be with the the four in the office, and then you only have to run one long cable to to your remote office. The Router will provide broadband services to all machines.

Once you have broadband enabled, you still have that telephone line for use in the normal manner, so why not use one of your main office lines, for the broadband connection? Bare in mind, all telephones on that line will need to be filtered.

Another issue you need to take seriously, is security. But a good quality Router will have a built in Firewall, which should be adequate.

Forum Editor 00:03 09 Jul 03

is fine - you can have a network cable much longer than that. The thing to bear in mind is that any network cable imposes a resistance on the tiny electrical signals it carries, and the longer the cable the greater that resistance will be. You won't notice much difference over 50 metres provided you don't run the cable near anything that puts out a strong electro-magnetic field.

Connect your USB broadband modem to an ADSL router and run one cable to the computer at the remote location into the router. Run another cable to the main location and plug it into a hub. Then run cables from the four computers to the hub and you'll have a distributed broadband service. Obviously all the machines will need Network interface cards.

Forum Editor 00:06 09 Jul 03

that the USB broadband modem must be connected to the router, and that the router must therefore be where the broadband -enabled phone line is. It wouldn't make sense to run separate cables from the remote location to the main office for each computer - just run one - that's what hubs are for.

pavel 08:20 09 Jul 03

Thank you folks very helpul as always
Pavel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…