How best to wipe a HDD?

Clapton is God 08 Apr 12
Answered

I'm about to get rid of my 10-year old XP PC and replace it with a brand spanking new Windows 7 machine.

After I've transferred all my files, photos, etc from the old machine to the new machine, can members recommend the best free software to 'nuke' the old HDD so that info cannot be retrieved from it?

john bunyan 08 Apr 12

If you do not want to physically cut up or shred the HD ( I used a hacksaw on my very old 10gig one) There are a number of drive erasers, but I would look at CCleaner. In Tools,Drive Wiper, you can choose various overwrite settings.I would have thought that after you have deleted your data files and use the 7 passes option, all will be un restorable.Have a look: CCleaner

Nontek 08 Apr 12
Answer

Other than completely destroying the old HD by smashing/burning/dismantling, it is just not possible to completely wipe a hard drive.

I would advice replacing the drive with a new empty drive, or sell it without a drive.

I have very recently done the same thing, bought a shiny new laptop and gave away my old desktop, minus its' drive which I have retained and will re-format to use as spare capacity.

rdave13 08 Apr 12

I'd put the old HDD in a caddy and use Ccleaner's drive wiper.

Clapton is God 08 Apr 12

Thanks for your responses.

I've always used CCleaner to 'clean' my HDD but never realised it had a 'wipe' facility as well!

Looks like that might be the way to go.

Devil Fish 08 Apr 12

my preferred weapon for wiping hard drives is killdisk

http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

if you fancy a look download create a cd from it then use cd to boot machine

john bunyan 08 Apr 12

BTW the CCleaner wipe on 7 passes takes a long time, maybe an overnight job.

Devil Fish 08 Apr 12

7 passes stick with Ccleaner then free version of kill disk only passes once

john bunyan 08 Apr 12

Yes but the OS will remain on and do ensure you delete all data first.

robin_x 08 Apr 12

If wanting to keep a copy of XP on the drive, I would re-install from the CD, or Recovery Partition, then wipe the empty space.

It's too difficult to find everything and delete manually, before wiping.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message