How best to see if anyone visits my site

holligan 19:55 08 Jan 04

I have a guest book, forum, and dont want a counter, is there out else to see if it gets looked at. its had no responces so far. ive tried to add it to a few scerch engines the free ones.

Taran 20:15 08 Jan 04

Your web host should provide you with access statistics. This can be a bit difficult to decipher at first - many people mistake file requests for individual visitors and suddenly they are under the impression that they have millions of hits per month.

If your web host supports PHP there is a fairly easy to use script that monitors your site traffic and there are plenty of third party applications that do the same.

I'd have a look at your web host to begin with though. Most hosts offer statistics in one form or another.

holligan 21:06 08 Jan 04

i rang them. unless you pay for a different package.

Pesala 21:18 08 Jan 04

Not sure how easy it is to set up as someone did it for me: click here

It gives a lot of detail: click here

holligan 22:49 08 Jan 04

i had a look on the site the download page but dont get it (taran) come back ! haha

Taran 10:15 09 Jan 04

The majority of hosts who do offer site stats use the Webalizer program mentioned by Pesala, or a close equivalent to it. Most of the output is almost identical and it takes a bit of getting used to to decipher everything and, as I mentioned above, it can be easy when you start out to think that hits or file requests equal visitors.

As I see it you have three real choices:

1. use Webalizer if yourhost will allow you to install and run it - I doubt that they will, since it makes no sense to offer site stats for a higher cost if they will allow you to install and configure your own stats program.

2. Use a page hit counter [I hate them] but you could always get a very simple script and make it either very small, hide it right at the bottom of your page, or make it the same colour as your page background. If you do that, nobody sees it, but when you click on it and highlight it on your page you should be able to read the numbers.

3. Use a scripted click counter. There are dozens out there to choose from, but most of them will need you to amend every hyperlink on every page of your site or manually insert some code into the head of all the HTML pages you want to include for accurate results. To sample your site stats with a click counter you could just amend the links on your home page or the headers of those pages leading off it. This would count how many people have visited your homepage and clicked on a link, so it won't be 100% accurate [no count for people unless they actually click a link].

Although I detest page hit counters I think that in this case it could well be your simplest option.

If you want to try a click counter script come back to this thread and I'll point you in the right direction, as long as your site supports CGI or PHP scripts.

There are some options intended for use with NetObjects click here

There are Services offered free by the NetObjects team that include page counters click here and scroll down the page to find PAGE VIEW SERVICE COMPONENTS where you can read about the free services offered that include Site Statistics, Page Hit Counter, Site Search, Polls, and Guest Book. The first two are your obvious choice, since site stats or page counters will both answer your requirements.

Other than that, you can find hundreds of hit counter scripts on the web that you just copy and paste into your page code.

I'd try the Services for NOF and see how you get along. Free web stats or page hit counters that you more or less point and click to drop into your web seem like a good deal to me.

Regards

Taran

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…