How best to organise my new hard drive

flick 23:47 15 May 06

Having started to run short on hard drive space I treated myself to a new external drive - the original is 200GB and the new one 300GB. I never thought I'd run out, but we take lots of digital photos and despite backing up the important ones to DVD there is a tendency to keep many of the rest 'just in case'. I have boxes of old style prints for the same reason.

I'm tempted to use the new drive just for photos but I'd be interested to know how other forum members would organise things.

johnnyrocker 23:55 15 May 06

300 gig would require an awful lot of pics.

DieSse 01:09 16 May 06

*I'm tempted to use the new drive just for photos*

Seems like a good strategy to me.

Don't be tempted to partition the drive - it's totally unnecessary - but give some thought to a good folder structure that enables you to find things easily.

flick 09:23 16 May 06

I am also planning to use some of the space to back up other important documents. Has anyone advice on what is the best software to use for this purpose?

DieSse 10:12 16 May 06

Acronis True Image works ideally for me.

Though for just a number of documents, it's probably just as simple to make folder for them and copy them across - after all you've got oodles of space.

Eric half-a-bee 13:36 16 May 06

If you're just going to copy use Windows' Briefcases. Right-click on a blank desktop with in the drive you're using to backup so you get the "New" option, hover over this and you'll be offered a choice of documents etc. Select Briefcase from near the top. Copy your data to the Briefcae, now whenever you right click on the Briefcase you can "Update" which checks for new or changed data and just copies that.

Terry Brown 14:20 16 May 06

I have just added a USB (200gb) drive, however I have split mine into 3 drives(60-60-80), I use the first one for digital photo storage, the second drive as a editing drive (video)[after each finished edit, I copy the finished Video to drive 1(backup)and copy to DVD, and wipe drive 2], drive 3 I use as a backup for when (not if) the main drive crashes, I can easily recover my working file, however the choice is yours.
If you are interested my main drives are 2 x 80gb

DieSse 15:05 16 May 06

There's little point in partitioning an NTFS storage drive - you're just as well off using folders to section it. Then you can't find you've filled one partition, yet have plenty of space left in another.

sheila.weston 15:47 16 May 06

Re a good backup utility: have a look at handy Backup at click here. It is $30, but works well.

flick 17:46 16 May 06

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I agree with DieSse about partitioning and have been sketching out a folder plan so that finding stuff that's been archived will be relatively easy. to date I've found that putting sensible names on files helps so that Windows or Picasa2 search give useful results.

ade.h 18:56 16 May 06

I can appreciate the context in which you said "Don't be tempted to partition the drive - it's totally unnecessary" but I thought I should add a comment about the benefit of doing that.

Having recently had to reinstall Windows due to a critical Hive file problem, I was very glad to have my documents on seperate partitions that remained untouched. The C partition had to be wiped entirely just so that Checkdisk could repair the bad sectors, as even the RC was not capable of sorting the problem. I have some programs that need to save their files in their own program sub-folders, so by having a program files partition, they were saved as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…