How best to connect drives?

Memoryman 11:31 21 Jul 03

I've recently been given an old but working CD-RW drive. My PC (500MHz Pentium 2, Win 98) is set up as:
C Drive, Primary Master.
Existing CD drive (D), Secondary Master.
Nothing currently connected to either cable as slave. Any advice on the best way to add the CD-RW drive, also which drive would be best to connect the existing audio cable to? Thanks.

davidg_richmond 11:36 21 Jul 03

Usually the Audio goes to the Master drive, but it makes no real difference.

I would put the CD-RW on the hard disk's slave, that way CD copying is a little smoother.

^wave^ 11:37 21 Jul 03

i would leave the audio cable where it is and connect as slave primary

i would be inclined to go the other way, connect the cdrw as secondary slave so that it is not on the same ribbon as the hard drive, there is logic in what davidg says but with a slower old system it would be better to copy a cd to the hard drive first then on to the cdrw from there. also you are more likely to be writing from the hard drive to the cdrw anyway.

as to the audio cable you'd just as well leave it where it is (i think we're all agreed on that at least). H

DieSse 13:01 21 Jul 03

The conventional way is

Primary IDE - Hard Drive as master

Secondary IDE - Master - CD-RW

Secondary IDE - Slave - CD

Stuartli 13:14 21 Jul 03

..and if you use Nero (at least in the case of this program) disable Auto Insert Notification as the software controls the drives; plus enabling DMA in both cases.

Stuartli 13:18 21 Jul 03

..I mean disable Auto Insert Notification for the CD-ROM drive of course....

Stuartli 13:21 21 Jul 03

A further point: The playing of audio disks or installing of software should be delegated purely to the CD-ROM drive.

Rewriters do not have the same longevity as CD/DVD-ROM drives as personal experience (and manufacturers' website usage figures) prove.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…