How to be Computer Literate

Rodz 20:48 05 Oct 06

Hi,
Iwould like to improve my PC skills, I am fairly good at the programes I work in but once I step outside my little territory I tend to be lost and rely on forums to get me out of a mess. Long live the forums, they are marvellous.
I would like to be able to troubleshoot and answer the questions myself that I now have to post on forums.
What branch of Computing should I be studying to improve my general skills.
Rodz

ade.h 22:05 05 Oct 06

Time + interest + internet research and books + putting it into practice = PC literacy. That approach can take you a long way, but you have to have an interest for it (and it sounds like you do).

it_girl 22:08 05 Oct 06

Buy some old pc's at the boot sales.
Take them apart,rebuild them,update the bios,install software.After doing this for a year or so then you will know whether or not you have it.
That is ,the first brick in the wall!
It is not studying it is doing and doing and.....

Good luck Rodz.

wee eddie 22:11 05 Oct 06

Everyone has their own little territory.

It would be pointless to try and know it all, simply because by the time you had absorbed one set of knowledge, the one before last would be out of date.

We would all be pleased if you joined the assorted bunch of folk who haunt these pages. Learning a little here, helping a little there, and remembering not to wind-up the "Senior" inhabitants too much!

it_girl 22:21 05 Oct 06

"one before last would be out of date" says wee eddie.True to a lesser extent because if you learn through practical work then the basics always stays with you.
The problem is all these experts who never get their hands dirty except when they drop crumbs on the keyboard when they type into Google!!

Think about the books like 'How to Drive a Car'.Just great for the learning process!

wee eddie 22:55 05 Oct 06

I'm still struggling with my Sinclair (C5, that is).

Think: Dos, W'95, W'98, W'98se, W-ME, W-XP and now W-Vista, all in less than a dozen years.

Help others with the programs that you are familiar and read any thread here that interests you. You'll be amazed at the amount of useful knowledge that you gain, and because it's all about problem solving that knowledge will stand you in good stead wherever you are.

ArrGee 08:27 06 Oct 06

We've all been there, and as long as you have the enthusiasm to learn, you will do well.

Both the software and hardware aspects of computing can almost be compared to lego!

You've got lots of different types of bricks. When you create something large and complex with the bricks, it's easier to break the structure, but the individual bricks stay intact, so you can start again!

Have a play around and don't be too scared of something going wrong. It's the best way to learn.

Rodz 19:17 06 Oct 06

Just want to say thanks to everybody who has contributed.
Rodz

Forum Editor 19:34 06 Oct 06

or patience required to become a computer expert, and not everyone wants to do that, anyway. Most people can become reasonably computer-literate however, provided they stick at it. The key to success is that last statement - I'm sure you realise that it isn't all suddenly going to click into place.

My own view is that the real way to learn is by experimenting, and by taking advantage of what's on offer here. Between these four virtual walls we have a considerabe pool of knowledge and experience, and we have some people who are real experts in their 'own little territory' as wee eddie puts it. They'll all share their knowledg with you, willingly, without any time-limit, and completely free of charge. I doubt that you'll find a friendlier bunch of people anywhere.

josie mayhem 00:22 07 Oct 06

Depends where you want to go with computers...

If you looking at it as a hobby, then there is a lot of free information on the web. check your local Library there are many books avalible... check your local council/college they normaly have courses that deal with computer courses, many basic courses are free or for a very low cost.

If you are looking to go into IT on a profeesional bases, then check your local collage to see what courses they offer.

But either of the above, when faced with a problem that you need to resolve, write down what you've tried to reslove the problem and mark the one that worked... building this data base will alsways pay difetent later...

betina 12:54 07 Oct 06

Hi guys,
would like to say everything falls into place all in it,s own good time got my pc February and every day i learn something new, have found iv,e learned more by being nosey and just poking around and not being sooo!! afraid to investigate, anything i,m not sure of i just front it up and ask(no matter how silly)!bugging friends and going on line is how i found out all answers to my questions and at last i can honestly say i am beginning to feel at par with my friends.Great advise to do a course (a fun course non certificates to begin with) like i did! just what i needed and yippee!it gave me the confidence to re-enroll on the advanced course and who knows i maybe even gain a certificate at the end of it. So hang on in guys if an idiot like me can do it ther,es hope for us all haha!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…