How to back up??

sarah1980 10:33 30 Dec 06

OK, so I have my external hard drive (as below), now do I just plug in and copy all the files over from the C: drive? Or do I wait till my TruImage software arrives, install this and then somehow copy it over?

I need to make sure the programmes as well as the files are copied over, which of the above methods will do this? Can I also copy Outlook emails and contacts (no appointemnts) over?

What about when I need to backup at the end of the day, will it update all the files that have been altered/created automatically? Or do I have to copy them across?

And finally, someone at work told me I should create a new "drive" for my itunes, so as not to clog up the main one. Is this true and how do I do it?

Sorry for all the questions, as you may have guessed I am a bit of a novice!!

anskyber 10:39 30 Dec 06

Wait for your True Image software to arrive, provided it's soon.

True image does everything including your operating system so your emails, contacts and settings will all be saved.

anskyber 10:42 30 Dec 06

It's up to you when and how often you back up. It depends a lot on how much new work you generate each day that are fearful of losing.

I do a full back up about once a month then an incremental back up weekly. The incremental save the changes to the full back up so it is quicker to do but slower to reinstall if you need it. Hence my policy of doing a monthly full back up to in effect start again.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:45 30 Dec 06

Copy the important files over NOW rather than wait for true Image. If something happens you will be OK. When TI arrives you can then do a full backup.

G

sarah1980 10:54 30 Dec 06

Thanks for all your responses so far, really don't know what I'd do without you guys!

Can I also copy Outlook emails and contacts (no appointments) over?

Also, someone at work told me I should create a new "drive" for my itunes, so as not to clog up the main one. Is this true and how do I do it?

VoG II 10:58 30 Dec 06
  Legolas 11:05 30 Dec 06

Put all your itunes into one folder named appropriately and then just drag it onto your External drive I would also back them up to DVD if you can. Then delete them From your main drive this way you will have them off your main drive and free up the space.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…