How to auto dissconenct a BB connection?

Dorsai 19:02 28 Jan 05

I am on BB. While I am not really worried by it, but am wondering if there is any way of getting my connection to 'disconnect' when not in use.

I frequently forget to disconnect, and the PC then stays live on the net, untended for hours. I realise that the chance of any hacker chancing on it, and doing anything are virtually nil, so am not worried.

But I am curious as to why the option 'idle time before hanging up 20 minutes' does not work.

Xp Home, SP2, Alcatel Speed touch USB modem, Tiscali ISP, Homebuilt PC.

Noelg23 19:05 28 Jan 05

look at the bottom right hand corner of your screen...there will two screens right click on them and click disconnect...

JonnyTub 19:07 28 Jan 05

about two third's down the page, might be one anwer.... click here

Noelg23 19:08 28 Jan 05

the reason idle time doesnt work is cos its only on dial up you get that message...not broadband...

Dorsai 19:09 28 Jan 05

Thanks Noelg23, but like i said, i regularly forget to disconnect.

I was just wondering why the option to dissconect auto, which is currently set to 20 minutes, does not actually do so.

Old Shep 19:10 28 Jan 05

I have a Speedtouch connection. If I double click on the tv icon (next to the clock) and select properties/options then I can select the idle time before hanging up. Mine is set on never so have not tried iother settings as I automatically disconnect myself when I know I am not going to use it. Regards

Noelg23 19:15 28 Jan 05

like I said Dorsai, its not dial up and the rule only applies to dial up (so far as I know and I use the internet a lot and when I was on dial up after a certain it would disconnect after being idle for a certain time) so really it only applies to dial up and not broadband...

Noelg23 19:18 28 Jan 05

yeah the reason why is cos the ADSL modem is seen as a network adapter and not an actual modem...(see device manager) and only if you have a dial up modem will you get a message popping up would you like to auto disconnect? not with broadband...

JonnyTub 19:19 28 Jan 05

How's that link look Dorsai ?

Dorsai 19:20 28 Jan 05

If it only applied to dial up, fair enough, but Xp treats a BB USB modem as a dial up connection. It is listed in 'network' connections as 'dial up'. So I think it should work.

I have it set to 20 mins. But it does not work.

Old shep, Long time no see.

Does your system actually dissconnect for you?

Graham ® 19:24 28 Jan 05

In Device Manager, locate the modem (mine is under Network adapters). Under Properties, Power Management, check Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…