How to activate touchpad without mouse?

Pineman100 13:21 22 Nov 10

My wife usually uses her Windows 7 laptop with a USB mouse. Some time ago I deactivated the touchpad to avoid accidental brushing with her hand or sleeve.

Now her mouse has broken, and until I can get out to buy a new one, she wants to use the computer with the touchpad.

Any ideas on how I can reactivate the touchpad without using a mouse to do so?

PS: I can't use my own mouse for this, because it's a PS2.

lotvic 13:37 22 Nov 10

What Make and model of laptop is it?
On some models, there is a keyboard shortcut to activate or deactivate the touchpad. For example an ACER, just do Fn + F7.
On the latest laptops , there is a special button to Enable/Disable the Touchpad.

Pineman100 14:18 22 Nov 10

Hi lotvic, thanks for responding.

It's a Packard Bell model Argo C2. It's about three years old, and definitely has no on/off button for the touchpad.

I tried Fn+F7 to no effect, I'm afraid. If I remember correctly, when I disabled the touchpad I did so by right-clicking its icon in the System Tray.

Pineman100 14:30 22 Nov 10

I'm pretty sure it's a Synaptics touchpad.

If I knew how to control the computer using only the keyboard, I suppose I could get into Control Panel>Mouse and then reactivate it from there.

Does anyone know the keystrokes to be able to do this, please?

T0SH 14:40 22 Nov 10

Windows key to bring up start menu, up down arrow keys and enter to get into control panel, left right and up down keys to move around the control panel icons then enter to select, once in the mouse properties a combination of the arrow keys tab key and enter to move around and select options

Cheers HC

Pineman100 14:55 22 Nov 10

Thanks X7-250 and TOSH.

I'm afraid I can't tell you exactly how I did it, but by fiddling around with keystroke combinations - mostly using the tab key plus an arrow key, I managed to get into the touchpad enable function under the Mouse heading in Control Panel.

Sorry not to be more precise, but many thanks for all suggestions, which gave me the encouragement to fiddle!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…