How to achieve 16:9 display in VirtualBox

alanrwood 12:02 22 Feb 15

Hi all

Been playing around with Virtual Box on a Win 7 Home Premium i7 PC. Installed fine and set up two virtual machines in which I have installed Win 8.1 without any real problems. Just one niggle. My monitor is 16:9 but the VB window is 4:3. Anyone any idea how to achieve this.

QuizMan 13:06 22 Feb 15
  alanrwood 10:44 23 Feb 15

Thanks. I will have a good look later and let you know.

alanrwood 21:50 23 Feb 15

Hi

Had a good look and can't really find anything relevant in the document. I will just continue to play around and see what I can find. Thanks for the help.

bumpkin 23:43 23 Feb 15

I don't really know but can you change the resolution on the monitor itself rather than via the PC.

alanrwood 09:08 24 Feb 15

Hi Bumpkin

Not really. The monitor will respond to whatever signal format is supplied to it by the video card. A 16:9 monitor will not display a 4:3 display correctly. It will either have black bands down each side or the horizontal direction will be stretched to fit the additional width producing a distorted display. The only way is to produce a 16:9 video feed from the computer and is usually set by the Screen Resolution setting by right clicking the desktop. This will display only the resolutions that the video card/Driver can produce. My problem is that all the resolutions displayed in the virtual box display are 4:3.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…