how to access win 2000 PC with user name IPC$

PeterCol 17:14 06 Jul 03

My daughter has a laptop running windows 2000. When I try to access the hard disk from another computer on the network running win 98 I get a request for the password for resource \\EJH\IPC$. None of the user names passwords nor the administrator password will grant me access. Where do I find the password or change it on her laptop?

Smiler 17:22 06 Jul 03

Have you allowed file sharing on the hard drive on the laptop? Open windows explorer right click on drive click on properties. click on sharing tab then click share as. Also from here if sharing is enabled you can tell if a password has been setpreviously.

Smiler 17:56 07 Jul 03

Not speaking to us are you??

mrdsgs 18:33 07 Jul 03

IPC$ is a system share, it sounds like c: has not been shared on the laptop.

To check, share c: on the laptop and just give it share name "c" and make sure "everyone" has access rights

refresh/reboot and you should be ok

mrdsgs

PeterCol 20:52 08 Jul 03

Thanks for your help folks. I can set up a user name and password on the remote m/cs and get access to the laptop but i had hoped that just by entering a password at the IPC$ prompt i could get access from any m/c. I guess that's not in the windows design.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…