how to access two workgroups on one network card?

ChrisDE 19:55 10 Sep 03

I setup a small lan in my office through a hub to enable 3 PCs to share files and printers - I called this workgroup "MSHOME". I then wanted to have the option to communicate with a manager in a neighbouring office with a similar LAN and connected their hub to my hub. Someone else then reconfigured my PC with a new IP address and changed the workgroup name to theirs. I now have access to the neighbouring office but not to any other PC in mine. How can I get access to two workgroups from the same network adaptor? Any ideas please ?

Kitz E Kat 08:37 11 Sep 03

Im not sure as i never tried, so this is guess work!

Set up a new network connection,called MSHOME, with the settings you had , this should give you two different network connections...

You should be able to log on to the two different networks, the only thing im not sure about is , will this 'new' connection work along the existing one, or just overwrite it? If it does you can change it back.

Else you could put the other computers on the same network and change permissions so only you can access them , and not the office next door, i dont like that solution!!!!!

Else if all comes to all, a new network card is cheap and quick to install....

Someone else will know for sure....
Kitz E Kat

Smiler 10:45 11 Sep 03

Try looking through this site click here

ChrisDE 15:35 12 Sep 03

Smiler's site seemed useful so I book marked it for future use. Instead I decided to make all my PCs the same workgroup name and IP address range as the office next door. Everything works fine now. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…