how to access hidden partition?

g00ner 09:51 17 Mar 05

Hi, just bought a new laptop. It doesnt come with a operating system disk or recovery disk!!! I contacted the vendor and they told me there is a hidden partition with the recovery image on! Is there a way i can access this so i can burn it to cd?? The only way of seeing it is through disk management, my main partition is NTFS and the 'hidden' one is FAT32.
Thanks in advance.

Maverick81 10:13 17 Mar 05

Surely the partition cant be hidden if you can see it in disk management and its fat32....which PC vendor have your purchased this system off ?

Mav

g00ner 10:20 17 Mar 05

Hi its a Dell machine, you can only only see it through disk manager (admin tools) and not access it! To recover from it, you hit ctrl f11 at boot and it goes straight to the recovery procedure.

ventanas 10:30 17 Mar 05

They are hidden, and do show up it disc managment. The one on this Dell is 47mb.

No sign of it in Explorer or My Computer, but is in disc managment.

g00ner 10:33 17 Mar 05

i have 2 hidden ones! one is a small fat partition which i think has the Dell diagnostic tools on, and the other is a 3gb fat32 one, which i assume is the one with the recovery o/s on!!!

Maverick81 11:09 17 Mar 05

What I meant was they aren't exactly very well hidden if you can see them in disk management...
Most vendors hack the firmware of the drive to hide the partition completly so that it doesnt show up anywhere in windows not even disk management.

If you want to re-install windows you will probably find the i386 folded on your c: drive on your PC, just make a bootable CD and copy the i386 folder on and run winnt from there.

Try getting hold of a copy of GDISK of the web (there are some freeware copies on the web somewhere) and see if you can access it through that.

Cheers

Mav

Maverick81 11:09 17 Mar 05

What I meant was they aren't exactly very well hidden if you can see them in disk management...
Most vendors hack the firmware of the drive to hide the partition completly so that it doesnt show up anywhere in windows not even disk management.

If you want to re-install windows you will probably find the i386 folded on your c: drive on your PC, just make a bootable CD and copy the i386 folder on and run winnt from there.

Try getting hold of a copy of GDISK of the web (there are some freeware copies on the web somewhere) and see if you can access it through that.

Cheers

Mav

g00ner 11:23 17 Mar 05

My argument to Dell was that i have paid for a copy of xp and they wont give me a disk! Its all good and well having a recovery partition, but what if the hdd fails out of warranty? or i decide to change hdd!!
I have just ran ghost, which sees all three partitions, and taken an image of the recovery partition to DVD. This is not the perfect answer, but at least i have something if all goes belly-up!

Yoda Knight 11:28 17 Mar 05
  Maverick81 11:32 17 Mar 05

No you haven't paid for a copy of XP at all, buying a system from a OEM vendor means you bought a system with a licence to have windows preloaded, Microsoft instruct vendors that they prefer OEM's not to ship systems with the original OS CD to prevent piracy (hence the hidden partition)

If there is a i386 directory make a backup it contains most of what is on the CD, So you shouldnt have a problem re-installing windows if your hard drive fails after the systems warranty has expired.

Im sorry that you feel angered by Dell not including a XP CD but there is nothing you can do.

Mav

Maverick81 11:35 17 Mar 05

Thanks for the link to GDISK Yoda :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…