How to access BIOS with USB keyboard

m800afc 19:35 15 Apr 09

I have recently started to use a Saitek Eclipse 3 keyboard. I am very pleased with the keyboard in normal use, but have one small problem. I cannot access the BIOS, or Safe Mode using the f keys on start-up. I have checked the USB legacy is on, but still no joy. If I disconnect the Saitek, and connect a PS2 keyboard, all is well. This is very inconvenient and I was wondering if there is a fix or workaround for this. I know I can get into safe mode via msconfig but this involves allowing everything to load first, and does not help with opening the BIOS. I would prefer to do this from a cold startup.

OTT_Buzzard 19:46 15 Apr 09

Is PnP OS set to 'No' in BIOS?

User-1229748 19:52 15 Apr 09

hope you get it sorted,just thought i'd say that looks a nice keyboard.

ambra4 09:30 16 Apr 09

You must use a PS2 keyboard if the computer has PS2 inputs sockets to access the BIOS

Some of the new computer without PS2 inputs and just uses USB ports for the keyboard and

mouse will allow access to the BIOS via a USB keyboard

You can also have a PS2 and a USB keyboard connected at the same time to the computer with

any problems

Zeppelyn 13:48 16 Apr 09

"You must use a PS2 keyboard if the computer has PS2 inputs sockets to access the BIOS"

Thats not true, Im using a Logitech USB wireless set up with an Asus M2N32 SLI Deluxe and have no problems accessing BIOS or F8 on startup.

Check your BIOS settins, my PnP OS is set to yes. Make sure you are using one of the motherboard USB ports rather than a hub port.

OTT_Buzzard 15:19 16 Apr 09

99% sure it should be set to 'No'

i.e. do not rely on OS to initialise Plug and Play, allow the BIOS to do it instead....

Zeppelyn 16:13 16 Apr 09

Yea I agree, was just saying mine is set to yes and usb works ok.

gazzaho 17:14 16 Apr 09

From what I've learned with my Saitek Eclipse 2 keyboard which is also USB and also illuminated when booting up the keyboard turns on and off a couple of times during the boot. I have no problem entering the BIOS but there is a limited time in order to do so, usually when the keyboard illuminates the first time after boot.

OTT_Buzzard 18:54 16 Apr 09

ok, non-starter for solution to the problem then!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…