Hotmail and Windows Live

Ian in Northampton 18:43 PM 08 Feb 12

As the family computing guru (hah!) my sister sent me the following question. As I don't use, and know nothing about, either Hotmail or Windows Live, not only can I not answer her question - I don't even understand the question...

Perhaps someone else does - and can:

"As you know, I do my e mails through Hotmail which I access through MSN.

But sometimes, if I do a 'contact us' thing through a website, my message seems to go through Windows Live. But (again!) I have no record of 'sent' items this way and sometimes don't get a reply. Now I know that sometimes, occasionally, people might not want to reply to me (faint, shock, horror!!) but it would be nice to see what I've sent and when. Most recently asking Chiltern Railways for a refund which is time critical. Yes, I could phone and will probably have to, but what is this Windows Live thing? I looked on Google and it said to download something but surely it's the 'same' as Hotmail, isn't it?"

Can anyone help?

rdave13 18:55 PM 08 Feb 12

WLM is a client like the old Outlook so you can manage your Emails. Have a look here

rdave13 19:04 PM 08 Feb 12

I have a few Hotmail accounts and use WLM to monitor the emails. You have a list of folders including 'sent' mail etc and you can create other folders. Just to confuse matters I use Windows Live Messenger (set to offline to others) to notify me of new emails via a pop-up near the notification area. You can open Windows Live Mail from the icon in the command bar in Internet Explorer.

Ian in Northampton 19:06 PM 08 Feb 12

That's very helpful, rdave - many thanks. Have relayed to my sister. I suspect that won't be the last we hear about it, though... :-(

Woolwell 21:27 PM 08 Feb 12

She appears to be using webmail most of the time. However the contact through a website will open the default e-mail client which in this case appears to be Windows Live Mail. The sent e-mail should be found in WLM. WLM must have been set up for an e-mail account otherwise the e-mail would not have been sent.

Don't get confused between Windows Live Hotmail and Windows Live Mail. As far as I am aware Windows Live Hotmail is Hotmail under a different name.

Ian in Northampton 18:13 PM 12 Feb 12

Sorry, Woolwell, didn't see this. Thanks.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

MIT builds an awesome 3D printer that can use 10 materials at once

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites