Hotmail weirdness

interzone55 17:48 24 Aug 03

For the last couple of weeks I've been getting returned mails in my hotmail box.

These are mails bounced back for a couple of reasons, either invalid addresses, or reporting that they're infected with the Sobig virus.

1) I have scanned my system twice today with Norton & AVG. I don't have the sobig virus.

2) I've not sent these mails out.

3) The addresses these mails were sent to are not in my hotmail or Outlook Express address books.

4) I've never, ever sent any mails from my hotmail address. It's just used for catching spam when registering at sites, and subscribing to newsletters.

So my question, has someone hacked my account to send spam?
Has anyone else had this happen?

Fateful Shadow 18:12 24 Aug 03

I've had it once where "I" sent loads of people this .pif file that contained a virus. The thing was that some of the people I knew, some of the addresses were German, and loads of other crazy things like that.

It hasn't happened to me again since. I don't know what causes this, but it seems to go away after a while...

interzone55 18:27 24 Aug 03

That's the one.

I deleted all the mails before I noted down the details. It was a .pif file

Jester2K II 20:21 24 Aug 03

Basically someone who has your e-mail address on their PC has the SoBig virus.

It sends itself out to lots of people and will take another address out of the address book to use as the return address. When the messages get rejected for having viruses the person who's address was used as the return address gets th rejection message.

This is what you are getting.

I've had over 100 of these so far and thousands of people all over the world are getting them too. click here

Your PC is not infected but someone elses...

Jester2K II 20:23 24 Aug 03

Alice gets the SoBig virus on her PC.

She has Bob and Charlie in her address book.

The virus sends itself to Bob but uses Charlie's address as the sender address.

So Bob thinks Charlie sent the virus.

or

Bobs company mail server rejects the message due to the infection and sends the message back to Charlie.

interzone55 21:51 24 Aug 03

Thanks Jester2K II
So it's not me, it's one of the hundred's of spammers who hit my account on a regular basis that has the virus.

Well, that's a weight off my mind.

Problem resolved

Jester2K II 21:52 24 Aug 03

er... or one of your mates!!! ANYONE who has your e-mail address....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…