Hotmail problem

ianeon 16:50 01 Dec 04

Good morning - I could do with some help with a Hotmail problem - When I access my main Hotmail address, using the normal logon method, my computer freezes. The only way that I can access my Hotmail account is to restart and go through MSN Messenger. This problem is specific to my computer, using other computers everything is O.K. I don't get any feedback from microsoft with this problem - I am using the latest updates on everything - XPPro & IE6 - Hope you can help - Ian

wotbus@ 17:17 01 Dec 04

Hello Ian. When you say "normal method" do you mean after you have launched Outlook, you go to the left hand side of your screen and click on your Hotmail Inbox folder - or from the MSN home page you click on Hotmail?

ianeon 17:47 01 Dec 04

This occurs when I logon from MSN homepage or from a shortcut on my desktop - I do not have Outlook on my computer. - Thank you for your interest.

Technotiger 18:59 01 Dec 04

Hi, have you tried a System Restore? or failing that, perhaps redownload/reinstal msn? just a couple of thoughts, dunno if they will help!! lol

ianeon 21:09 01 Dec 04

TECHNOTIGER - Thank you - system restore made no difference how do you reinstall MSN ?

ACOLYTE 21:16 01 Dec 04

Are you using MSN messenger or windows messenger?
windows messenger you can uninstall from control panel add/remove then click add remove windows components.MSN should also be in add/remove but in the list of programs.

Technotiger 21:22 01 Dec 04

Hi, sorry, I meant to say Update MSN, but I see you have updated everything, my msn explorer is V7. Ah well, I tried, sorry not much use. lol

wotbus@ 21:25 01 Dec 04

Hi. I think it may be like Technotiger implies - perhaps the installation didnt go correctly. If you saved MSM to disc when you downloaded it I suggest you un-install MSM using Add/Remove programs, reboot your PC, temporarily disable your AV if you have one running then re-install MSM from wherever you saved it. Enable your AV.
If you don't have MSM on disc, un-install the version you are using, go online and download it again - this time saving it. Come offline, disable your AV and run the MSM.exe file again and just follow the instructions. Note: disabling the AV prevents it running in the background during installations which helps "clean" installs. As you don't have Outlook and I assume you don't use Outlook Express!, what should happen if you click on the MSN icon on your desktop, is an "invitation to connect to the internet" box should appear [depending on how you have configured your connections]. I just right-click the messenger pawn on the taskbar, then "My Email Inbox". Once there, click New and that's it. Good luck and don't forget to enable your AV when you are finished.

wotbus@ 21:28 01 Dec 04

Sorry - MSM = Microsoft Messenger :-)

wotbus@ 21:31 01 Dec 04

Sorry again - AV = AntiVirus

Zurdo 14:34 02 Dec 04

Apparently it's to do with the recent Hotmail upgrade. Have a look here click here There are other threads on this forum also about this problem. I just made sure Messenger was started up then left in the system tray before going into Hotmail via IE and it seems to have cured the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…