hotmail outgoing-mail obstruction

MikeAuck 08:25 AM 12 Aug 11

I can't send outmail, since yesterday. When I click the SEND button in hotmail, a yellow box appears under the SEND button saying "To stop spammers, we sometimes ask you to enter characters before sending your message". Is this a legitimate hotmail feature?
It directed me to another page (supposedly Windows Live Hotmail) that asked me to type in characters from a blurry picture, to verify I was a person. It also had something to do with a hotmail-live account ... but I don't think I have such an account, as I don't use Messenger or the other stuff on hotmail; I just do emails. I'm not aware of upgrading anything, unless it was done automatically by Hotmail. I haven't tried entering the characters yet, in case it was a virus or spam.
Can you help?

eedcam 08:32 AM 12 Aug 11

Cant say yours is for real but you do get this with hotmail I get it on the computors in the public library and it is genuine .

Sea Urchin 09:03 AM 12 Aug 11

You do in fact have a Windows Live Hotmail account - that is the full name of the email service provided by Hotmail

Not to be confused with the email client program Windows Live Mail - although it often is!

I would agree with eedcam that the pop up is a genuine security check.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

ZAK releases more videos showing what happens if you ask other professions to work for free

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know