hotmail outgoing-mail obstruction

MikeAuck 08:25 AM 12 Aug 11

I can't send outmail, since yesterday. When I click the SEND button in hotmail, a yellow box appears under the SEND button saying "To stop spammers, we sometimes ask you to enter characters before sending your message". Is this a legitimate hotmail feature?
It directed me to another page (supposedly Windows Live Hotmail) that asked me to type in characters from a blurry picture, to verify I was a person. It also had something to do with a hotmail-live account ... but I don't think I have such an account, as I don't use Messenger or the other stuff on hotmail; I just do emails. I'm not aware of upgrading anything, unless it was done automatically by Hotmail. I haven't tried entering the characters yet, in case it was a virus or spam.
Can you help?

eedcam 08:32 AM 12 Aug 11

Cant say yours is for real but you do get this with hotmail I get it on the computors in the public library and it is genuine .

Sea Urchin 09:03 AM 12 Aug 11

You do in fact have a Windows Live Hotmail account - that is the full name of the email service provided by Hotmail

Not to be confused with the email client program Windows Live Mail - although it often is!

I would agree with eedcam that the pop up is a genuine security check.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…