Is Hotmail Insecure?

YinHoNg 12:40 01 Nov 06

Is using hotmail insecure? If so, which is the most secure web based email service around?

I only have one email account for all my emails - this includes private and personal information. Would it be better to have one email account for important/private emails and others for personal emails?

Diodorus Siculus 12:46 01 Nov 06

I wouldn't trust any web based mail as the sole storage space for my emails - not because of any security issues, but for the sake of ensureing that mail is not lost. If I keep it on my machine, then I have it.

Useful to have two mail accounts - one for personal / professional mail and one for junk lists - eg when you have to enter a valid email address to register with a site.

sean-278262 12:50 01 Nov 06

"If I keep it on my machine, then I have it."

Yes but if your machine goes belly up then you dont have it. I would rather use webmail from the likes of google. That way you can keep one on google and one on your computer. click here

As for emails. I have 3. A personal one that I use all the time. A spam one that I use to test sign up to sites to avoid spam. And a 3rd one for emails with contacts that I dont trust.

YinHoNg 12:57 01 Nov 06

So you think that gmail is more secure than hotmail?

I'm worried in particular that my account could be hacked - is this common? How hard does hotmail make it to stop this etc...

Diodorus Siculus 12:58 01 Nov 06

If my machine goes belly up, I have a backup onto an extermal drive which runs nightly... :-)

Diodorus Siculus 12:58 01 Nov 06

If my machine goes belly up, I have a backup onto an extermal drive which runs nightly... :-)

YinHoNg 07:12 18 Dec 06

Is it fair to say that Hotmail is less secure than Gmail because its more popular?

I just read about hotmail accounts that get 'hacked' and I'm worried that this might happen to me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…