Hotmail Attachments not opening

SCarpy 10:25 18 Feb 09

Hi

For some reason i cannot open attachments sent to me in my hotmail account on my home laptop but can on my work pc.

I have bitdefender installed on my laptop but dont think that that is blocking it as no message is appearing but i suppose it could be possible.

I imagine it is a interent security setting but nothing is jumping out at me as to what it could be.

If anyone could shed any light on it that would be great.

Thanks.

mazuk 13:32 18 Feb 09

Could also be under "set program access and defaults" which has a load of flags for example when i set my default web browser to firefox hyperlinks in outlook wouldn't open because they were set to open with ie, little things like that.

SCarpy 13:44 18 Feb 09

Well my work pc is set to custom with "use my current web browser" selected and access ticked on the IE & safari web browser and have always been able to open attachments on hotmail.

I will check my laptop tonight and set it to the same settings if different and see if that does that the trick.

Thanks, will let you know.

SCarpy 18:03 18 Feb 09

I have checked the settings on my laptop and they are identical to my work pc, i have even changed the web browser to ie but that didnt solve it. In fact when i went back into program Access & defaults it had automatically reverted back to the old settings i had.

Any other ideas as to what it could be, it must be a setting somewhere!!

mazuk 08:27 19 Feb 09

I presume you have adequete software to open these files right? for example being able to open a .doc in word or a .xsl in excel etc? are you able to right click and display "open with" or is this not an option?

mazuk 08:27 19 Feb 09

.xls *correction*

SCarpy 09:27 19 Feb 09

Well the file is a .nvs file, so not quite sure what that is, a quick google search has not brought much up.

One thing is that i do not have office on my laptop but do at work so it could be that. Maybe you could shed some light on what a .nvs file is.

One other problem that i have just run into on my laptop is that i have been unable to run a .exe file sent to me from a company called ceedo which is software installed on a seagate go drive. (This is also where i got the .nvs file from)
Save the .exe to my pen drive and try it on my work pc and its fine.

i turned off my antivirus & firewall on my laptop thinking that might be blocking it but it still wouldnt run. Any help on these two things would be helpful. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…