Hotmail Access Problems

2stroketim 20:03 29 Dec 08

Hi,
Wonder if you can help me. Bought my daughter for xmas a Toshiba L300 laptop running Vista Home premium SP1- the problem is accessing Hotmail

using firefox after entering the id and p/w the following message
"waiting for mail.live.com" and it just hangs, when you refresh it goes back to the login screen with the following message "The email address or password is incorrect"

using Internet explorer after entering id and p/w the following message appears:
HTTP 400 - The webpage cannot be found
what you can try - retype the address etc etc

However if we use my laptop also running Vista home premium sp1 I can access hotmail using firefox and explorer with no problems at all.

Any ideas please ?

johnnyrocker 20:19 29 Dec 08

is "use a proxy server" ticked in connection settings?

johnny

isca2 20:27 29 Dec 08

Not sure if it is the answer, but check the MTU setting on the router, should be around 1492..but if it works on your laptop, may not be the answer. Also try switching between PPPOA & PPPOE setting on the router. Again, may not be the answer if you are sharing the same router.

isca2 20:37 29 Dec 08

PS..re HTTP 400, this suggests that either the URL for Hotmail has been typed in wrong or the actual email address is wrong. I am sure you have checked this but are you sure all entered correctly ?

Sea Urchin 21:01 29 Dec 08
  2stroketim 21:01 29 Dec 08

johnnyrocker - is "use a proxy server" ticked in connection settings?
No but then it isn't on my laptop and it still works ok

iscanut - we are sharing the same router and the id and p/w work ok on my laptop

:(

Sea Urchin 21:07 29 Dec 08

Or first you could try Tools menu/Internet Options/Advanced tab

Scroll down the list and uncheck Use HTTP 1.1 - click Apply and OK

If it doesn't work then repeat and tick again

isca2 21:10 29 Dec 08

What firewall & settings do you have on daughter's laptop. Could the problem be here ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos