Hotfixes for 2000 - who should load them?

Diemmess 12:26 21 Oct 06

An unforseen result from automatic installing all updates as they became available click here
Because I use my computer at home only for "social domestic and pleasure reasons" I now wonder whether it was a bad idea to allow this.

I run Windows 2000 pro (with SP4). No ethernet nor any other link apart from a standard BB a/c with Aol. I also use AVG and Zone Alarm.

The hotfixes that arrived from time to time may have been concerned mainly with intranet and other facilities which I don't have, so in retrospect it might have been better not to have installed them.

I can remove them of course, but what would wiser people do?

MichelleC 13:25 21 Oct 06

When I used a w2k pc I did have various probs after some updates, resulting in several formats. It's hard to know which ones were the cause as there are so many after sp4. If you did a 'repair' install it would take you back to barebones w2k without data loss and then you could update fromthere keeping an eye on performance.

Diemmess 17:03 21 Oct 06

If it aint broke don't fix it springs to mind, but I can't resist trying for further improvements.

It seems that there have been more updates recently than in mid summer, and my question remains -
do I need the latest at all?

I can image the whole system in about 4:30 mins (Hyperos) so I will start tomorrow (unless someone says DONT)..... by uninstalling all updates except those few which have a number in WINNT starting with OE, IE, WMP and SQ.

My aim is to lose the repeated yellow triangle warning in Event log quoting DHCP and Srv.
Do you know what they are upset about?

MichelleC 08:19 22 Oct 06

The event logs are beyond me, and M$ don't seem to make it easy to find out what each alarm is about. This'll bump you anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5