Hot swapping memory sticks

sputnick 09 Jun 12

As a Dj I have a lot of music downloaded onto Usb memory sticks. The problem I have is trying to hot swap them during a gig. Sometimes they are not found unless I reboot, which is not possible at that time.I always use the " safely remove" device at home but again not convenient during gigs. Is there a way to make USB swapping more reliable.

proudfoot 09 Jun 12

As far as I am aware you have to click in the Safely Remove Hardware in the system tray before removing USB Sticks or USB H/Drives. If you do not do this you can corrupt the data on the disc.

robin_x 09 Jun 12

There is an setting for Quick Removal which disables write-caching and supposedly allows it.

I don't trust it myself. USB drives are flaky enough at the best of times.

justme 09 Jun 12

Why don't you invest in a 4 port usb hub?

You could then have 4 sticks open as separate drives and you should be able to change to the appropriate drive quickly enough.

sputnick 09 Jun 12

Thanks I will use a hub

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message