Hot swappable

carl48 14:55 25 Jul 03

I'm sure everyone in the world except me must know this, but what does 'hot-swappable' mean? I see it in virtually every advert but nowhere does it explain the term.

Yours hopefully.

Jester2K II 14:56 25 Jul 03

Means you can plug in and unplug a device without having switch the pc off and then on again.

ie USB ports.

carl48 15:01 25 Jul 03

Thanks for that, Jester2K.

-pops- 15:02 25 Jul 03

Even though much is made of hot "swappability", it is still advisable to use the "safely remove hardware" facility which will disable the device before pulling the plug.

It is useful but, not as useful as all the hype in adverts would have us believe. I mean, hown many times a day will you be unplugging your USB modem or Zip drive or any one of a large number of other devices?

Brian

Jester2K II 15:46 25 Jul 03

Only applies to devices where the PC can read and write to it - digital cameras, External hard drives / CD drives etc. Doesn't apply to USB mouse / keyboard etc though...

-pops- 15:51 25 Jul 03

I can't imagine many circumstances where you would want to unhitch the mouse or keyboard. Those items in my machine get plugged in the first day and unplugged the day the machine goes to the great depository in the sky.

Jester2K II 16:04 25 Jul 03

Depends if you are upgrading your mouse doesn't it? As a rule the mouse stays plugged in but even one here sometimes people are advised

I was just pointing out that the safely remove hardware thingy doesn't apply to all USB devices.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac