hot smell on pc then tick noise then zilch

frankie 20:01 16 Feb 03

hot smell on pc then tick noise then girlfriend just rang me.said her pc smelt hot..then made loud tick and cut it starts to load then cuts out...she lives too far for me to investigate tonight.i feel power supply fan may of gone.if so what other damage could it have caused by overheating?.

woodchip 20:23 16 Feb 03

The PSU nead renewing

woodchip 20:24 16 Feb 03

Ps ask if she can smell burning at the back of the comp

frankie 20:24 16 Feb 03

i,m hoping it is that simple...if it was fan on processor..what damage would that do?????or do they auto cut out.cheers for response

woodchip 20:30 16 Feb 03

It would not try to boot it would just have a black screen, the CPU would be fried can you hear the fan when trying to boot

frankie 20:37 16 Feb 03

not at the location. going up there tomorrow to have a look.can you tell me what i should do to check it without causing further experiance is self taught.i could fit the part if i have some idea of what to look if fan not turning in power supply.would replace that.but if that is ok.what to check next.will check processor fan too.but after that,thanks for response..

woodchip 20:37 16 Feb 03

PS if it is the PSU which I think it is, that's why you are getting the clicking check the size of the PSU if it's a Name make Computer they tend to be stingy with the Wattage Get one about 300 to 400 Watt's depending what 's in the comp and think on if it may be upgraded with hardware later

two00lbwaster 20:37 16 Feb 03

only on amd cpu's intel processors underclock themselves until the reach a safe temp

might be the gfx card fan or the fan on the power supply

woodchip 20:41 16 Feb 03

The PSU is contained in the big box at the back of the comp Wattage should be marked on probably about 250Watt's they can sometimes be repaired but not worth it if you have to have some one to do it. cheaper just to replace

frankie 20:57 16 Feb 03

dont think graphic card has fan on is amd processor.though.would replace psu.not get it repaired..would get 400w.for future proof..if there is such a can i turn on pc with case of to check fans?without causing further damage...thanks for response.

woodchip 21:03 16 Feb 03

Yes it would be cooler, the PSU as all the wire coming from it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…