toern 14:20 24 Apr 05

Need to frequently swap BB wired connections to Telewest Modem, and router while problem with slow router:

What is safe to connect without power off PC?

I heard that you must power down PC before changing network cables. I have inadvertently done this without powerdown.

Telewest said you can change cables to modem without powerdown of modem.

Where can you read about this? website, PCA, book?

Strawballs 00:31 25 Apr 05

I always thought that you had to power down before unplugging network cables until one of the I.T guys at work unplugged mine without and when I asked him about that he said it was OK to do.

mcds01 09:54 25 Apr 05

working as an IT Support "guy" I regulary have to switch network connections. I NEVER shut down a pc/server/whatever just to change the network cable. It shouldnt cause any problems at all (unless of course someone else is using the connection!).

mgmcc 11:00 25 Apr 05

While plugging/unplugging network cables may not cause a problem, you may have a problem getting an IP address from Telewest if you connect a network adapter with a different MAC address to the modem without powering it down first.

...unless, of course, your router has "cloned" the MAC address of the PC's network adapter.

Strawballs 01:11 26 Apr 05

Sorry SteSte I was not trying to be derogatory about I.T support teams but when you work for a firm as big as VT Group there are a lot of them.

mcds01 09:47 26 Apr 05

no need to apologose! I never know what to call myself thats why also just say IT Support "guy" :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…