Hot modem

SG Atlantis® 09:52 09 Jul 06

I keep dropping my internet connection, it's been like this since after the first week, I thought it was just teething trouble but it's becomming more persistant.

Only way I've found recently to resolve when I can't reconnect is pull the modem out for a couple of minutes and then plug it in again.

Do they usually get so hot? I was on cable before this and it didn't. It's a Sagem 800 model.

I fired an email of to the ISP. Got a reply a day and a half later saying sorry we can't help our systems are down reply in a few hours if you still need help. Muppets!

Good mind to tell them where to stick their service!

wolfie3000 09:57 09 Jul 06

Never known a adsl modem to get hot maybe worth checking the vents on it,

Maybe because as you said there systems down this is the problem.

Totally-braindead 10:00 09 Jul 06

I've got a Sagem 800 and it didn't get hot either. I've now removed it and am using an internal Alcatel modem as for some reason the Sagem would sometimes stop my USB connections working at boot up. It never disconnected me though and once I disconnected and reconnected it, it would be fine until the next time I switched on, plus annoyingly it was intermittant.

I would suggest if its getting hot there is something wrong as mine was ok but I'm not an expert on this.

SG Atlantis® 10:04 09 Jul 06

defo starting to get hot again.

Maybe I should clarify, according to the icon in system tray it still says I'm connected but I'm not getting anything on the browser or outlook. I end up selecting disconnect... pull the modem out and wait a few mins.

Sometimes it'll connect no problems, other times it fail at the "connected to remote computer" and "verifying user name and password" bits.

wolfie3000 10:07 09 Jul 06

Sounds like the modem is about to push up daisies might be worth getting a new one.

SG Atlantis® 10:19 09 Jul 06

They only gave me it to me a few weeks when I signed up. I'll get onto them see what they say.

Totally-braindead 10:24 09 Jul 06

I'm with Tiscali and have the Sagem 800 (though as I said earlier I no longer use it) and the only thing I can say is mine never got hot or disconnected. From my point of view I would think its faulty.

SG Atlantis® 10:35 09 Jul 06

cheers t-b I'll get the missus to contact Tiscali.

Stuartli 10:50 09 Jul 06

I also have the Sagem 800 - it certainly doesn't get warm and, in fact, has no vents.

Try downloading the latest drivers from the Sagem website W 3.0.4b); if you do, select the Tiscali option during the installation after the original drivers have been uninstalled by the software.

See:

click here

spuds 10:53 09 Jul 06

I have both the Sagem [email protected] 800 and the Thomsom/Alcetal SpeedTouch 330. Both were supplied by Tiscali. Both the Sagem and the SpeedTouch get slightly warm but not hot, after a day's usage.

No point in telling Tiscali "Good mind to tell them where to stick their service!", on a possible minor blip. Contact them, and give them time to resolve the issue.

Wolfie 3000-- There are no vents on these modems.

wolfie3000 10:55 09 Jul 06

oops my mistake sorry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5