Hot linking, my solution...

barryoneoff.co.uk 14:08 27 Jul 03

For anyone who read my previous post, "Right click options" and also needs a solution, this is the only way I could think of overcoming the problem of visitors using bandwidth by linking directly to images. It's a bit long winded and time consuming but unless you can come up with a simpler solution...

I set up a folder for the site and inside this folder, a folder for each page. Inside these folders, three more. (e.g. In the HOME folder, homex, homey, homez). I then renamed each animation four times, and stored them in the four folders x,y,z,& home.

I then added a page to my website, that does not get published, with all the animations in frames.

So now, every so often, I will delete the frames from my site pages, replace and upload the new frames in rotation. This way the name of the hot-linked graphic changes, and so is no longer hot-linked, leaving a box with a red cross on the poacher's site.

I know this was a long task to begin with, but from now on when I create a new graphic I just have to save it four times into the relevent folders.

Hope this helps someone else out too. Cheers, Whiz...

Taran 15:11 27 Jul 03

I'm not sure if this will help, but you could always random call your images using PHP or even JavaScript. The JavaScript would be comparatively complicated in the coding and far less secure (JS is processed on the viewers computer where PHP is processed server-side).

There are ways in which you can call your images using PHP and each time a page is visited a different image is displayed. It's a pain to have to do this but it is possible although it's pointless if you require a specific image to display on a particular page but, even then, you could call the image from a source database via PHP which would make it far more difficult to link to if you set it up properly.

I'm not sure why you need to do this or why you might want to. Bandwidth limitations are all well and good but you must be getting either many thousands of hits per day or your images are vastly over-sized to be feeling it to any great extent.

If you've posted another thread on this, point me in the right direction and I'll look at the problem as you outlined it to see if I can come up with something.

Image theft can be limited but never prevented. There are scripts that can prevent the images from caching in your visitors browser cache which, when coupled with a transparent GIF over the top of every image and right click prevention, helps go a long way to keeping people off your pictures.

You can also limit who gets to actually look at the pages with the full size picture on it by using controlled access so any external linking is stopped dead, but username and password combinations have their own set of problems and are a big turn off to many site visitors.

Let me know what the problem is or where the thread(s) can be found and I'll take a sneaky peaky later on or tomorrow.

Regards

Taran

barryoneoff.co.uk 16:21 27 Jul 03

someone posted a link about the PHP method in my other posting, but it just seemed a bit complicated for a dunce like me.
It is not really a problem at the moment, but I'm looking ahead, the site is only a week old.

It is a site for free animated gifs that I am working on, and while visitors are free to copy or save the images, I dont want the lazy ones linking directly to them. Disabling the right click is no good, as it stops them being available to anyone who doesn't know how to over ride it. The only method I could think of was to change image names in bulk every few days.
Thanks anyway. If you want to look at the site to see what I mean click here

Cheers Taran, Whiz...

Gaz 25 19:15 03 Aug 03

It is the same methord I use on my website:

When you click Change background colour, it changes just the HTML page and not reload all the images too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…