Hosts file support group

Valvegrid 20:04 07 Dec 03

Anyone that edits their Hosts file to block ad's and other stuff may be interested in this group. They have published a new hosts file on the 02/12/2003 with a very comprehensive list.

click here

You have to register into Yahoo Groups to use it.

Paul.

Diodorus Siculus 20:08 07 Dec 03

Thanks for that Valvegrid - I have been using edited host files for quite some time (since Mozilla 0.8) and see very few ads. It is always good to find a source of updated files; I find that editing my own can take some time.

Valvegrid 20:12 07 Dec 03

Be warned, the Hosts file is 649K! So when I said comprehensive, I meant it.

Good luck

Paul.

Diodorus Siculus 20:17 07 Dec 03

Valvegrid - my current one is 1.12 Mb (with some duplications but I have not found an easy way of cleaning it).

I realise that it may be slowing things down in other ways, but it works for me.

Valvegrid 20:33 07 Dec 03

I'm impressed, my old one was a mere 136K. I haven't tried it yet, but I wonder if you can edit it in word to get rid of the dup's then put the file back in windows after changing the file extensions of course?

Paul.

powerless 20:39 07 Dec 03

Open it in notepad.

Diodorus Siculus 21:30 07 Dec 03

Yes, I can open it in my notepad replacement (metapad) - that is how I edit it to manually add to it. I just wonder if there is a way of finding duplicate lines of text in a document.

Anyway, I am happy with it as it is now.

VoG II 21:41 07 Dec 03

I just tried opening mine (a mere 500 KB) in Word, selected all below the header lines and tried Table/Sort. Result: "the document is too large for Word to handle".

powerless 21:43 07 Dec 03

I use this host file click here complete with installer...

Not as big as the host file linked to by VoG but it works.

powerless 21:44 07 Dec 03

courtesy of spikeychris!

Valvegrid 17:39 08 Dec 03

close

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…