Hosting question

t1g100no 19:53 23 Aug 06

Hi all.

A friend has a website which was setup by a third party. She and this third party have since parted company under bad terms and she would like to change the login details with the hosting company. Unfortunately she doesn't know any of the details apart from the FTP user and password.

Is it possible to find out who is hosting the site so that they can be contacted?

Thanks,

Tom.

slightlymad 20:37 23 Aug 06

Sorry to but in on your thread, t1g100no, but I've got the same problem. (Except that it's a bit more complicated...)

My husband has started a logistics business in Moscow, and has parted company with the person who registered the domain name (abilena.com).

I would really like to transfer the name, but I'm assuming that only the registrant is able to do this.

I found the details on WHOIS, but it's a Greek hosting company! Their site is all in foreign! I've written, but not received a reply.

Unless someone knows otherwise, I think the only option I have is to re-register using a UK domain name.

t1g100no 09:55 24 Aug 06

Thanks "forum member". I tried WHOIS and found out the hosting company.

Strangely though, their website appears to have absolutely no way of logging in, so I don't even know if the FTP details would work.

I'm afraid my friend may just have to bite the bullet and contact the third party for the info.

Cheers,

Tom.

t1g100no 14:33 24 Aug 06

Whois says that registration service is provided by Yetihost. Their website being: click here

Forum Editor 20:16 24 Aug 06

that your friend will only be able to change the login details if the hosting account is in his/her name.

This is a very common problem, and is the kind of thing that makes me wish we could have some kind of an enforceable code of conduct between web designers/cients/hosting companies. I'm often consulted by people who - through no fault of their own - have found themselves trapped in this situation. They listened to a web designer who said "leave everything to me", and then, when the relationship turned sour, found themselves with no access to their site, their domain name, or the server on which their site is hosted.

Anyne entering into an arrangement with a designer would do well to ensure that:

1. The domain name is registered in their name, or that of their company, and not in the designer's name.

2. If the site is hosted with a company recommended by the designer, the client pays the hosting charges direct to the company - thus ensuring that if anything goes wrong, the host talks to the client, and not to the designer.

3. The designer makes a backup copy of the site and passes it to the client when final payment is made - thus ensuring that the client can get someone else to republish the site if necessary. It's not unknown for irate web designers to disable or delete sites on servers.

Problems can be avoided if clients take these precautions, and a good web designer will not have the slightest objection. The only thing to remember is that most web designers will ask for final payment at the point the finished site is published to the server. In fairness a designer must protect himself/herself from unscrupulous clients who might get their site and their server login, change the password, and then refuse to pay - it happens.

t1g100no 22:51 25 Aug 06

FTP details didn't work. Nevermind it was worth a try. Thanks for your help anyway "forum member".

........and thanks editor, some good tips.

Tom

bluto1 23:48 08 Sep 06

Hi, i would suggest a new post as your question here is going to get lost. Best of luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…