Hosting my own website - is it a good idea?

Christopher Lewis 21:43 22 Jun 05

What are the pros and cons of hosting my own website (other than it sounds fun)?

What software and hardware would be required?

It would be overkill since the site I'm building is small and doesn't have much that is complicated - maybe 100 jpeg photos, and a few video clips, and a searchable database.

Christopher

Matt45 21:53 22 Jun 05

It's very difficult to host a site on your own computer, would mean you need a fixed IP address from your ISP - most of which don't allow you to run a computer as a server, would mean leaving your computer switched on all the time and has obvious security risks from hackers. It's far better to go with a reliable hosting company like click here and leave all the hassle of ensuring your website is online and working to them.

Matt

PurplePenny 21:10 23 Jun 05

I think that you would find that it really isn't fun.

Forum Editor 23:29 23 Jun 05

is 'no'. Your agreement with your ISP will almost certainly prevent it anyway, and even if it didn't you would find that running a web server is far from being the fun it might sound. The first time you were subjected to a Denial Of Service attack you would realise that there's a lot more to it than meets the eye.

Christopher Lewis 10:22 24 Jun 05

Thanks guys - seems unanimous

Christopher

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…