//some 3rd party need geo

Hosting Help

Me - Version 1.2 RC3 16:57 18 Aug 04

I share videos that I make with my friends alot and I was wondering if there is a web host that will alow me to host videos.

The files are usualy about 100mb each and I need to host about 4 or 5 at once.

I also need a large ammount of bandwidth so that I can ship the files to my friends and offer them publicly wihtout the site going down.

I cant really afford to pay for hosting so anything would have to be free.

Any suggestions?

Forum Editor 18:21 18 Aug 04

any web host is going to allow you to offer 500mb of video to all and sundry and not expect to be paid for the resulting bandwidth consumption - it just isn't going to happen.

Talented Monkey 11:01 19 Aug 04

..how many people think they can and should get anythign and everythig ree from internet, but i shall resist!

So whats wrong with paying? As the Forum Editor says you will never find anyone to give the amount of space and bandwidth for nothing.

Assuming you are a child whos is unable to pay and this is a project for you and your friends, then why not all save up equal amounts for years hosting, which is normally cheaper anyway, and get someone who owns a credit card to make a one off payment.

Taran 13:29 19 Aug 04

CD media is very inexpensive to buy and mail.

Burn your video files to CDR and post them, or deliver them by hand as and when you see your friends.

Good hosting is worth paying for but it is not just storage space you need. Bandwidth is a major consideration for anyone sharing large files. Imagine if you get 1000 visitors to your site in a month who all download just one video file of 100mb in size. You do the maths.

It costs money and requires resources to shift that amount of information around, not to mention that all of your friends must be incredibly impressed with your video making skills (not to mention having a fast broadband connection and lots of patience) to bother downloading them to begin with.

I'd suggest either opening your wallet or burning your creations to disk for distribution.

Me - Version 1.2 RC3 10:27 20 Aug 04

What is your problem?!!

I asked if there was anyone that provided it due to my apparent ignorance! There is no need to bite my head off!

Charence 13:01 20 Aug 04

They were trying to say...no there isn't.

So far, I've not come across a free web host who has the storage space you require OR the bandwith you require to upload/download these files.

The suggestion from others in this thread is probably the best option...just burn it onto CD. Its much quicker.

Charence

Me - Version 1.2 RC3 13:07 20 Aug 04

I am particularly upset as this is supposed to be a Help Room forum and people are speaking to me like I dont know what I am doing. I DONT know what I am doing and I would just aprechiate some straight advice like Charence gave me rather than a mouthful.

I just wanted help but now I know I am not welcome I will go elsewhere with staff that are more friendly towards their customers.

Annon. 14:52 20 Aug 04

Leave it now before this blows out of proportion.

Gaz 25 17:43 22 Aug 04

there isn't a host that will allow such large files. Im sorry there isn't, but I just don't know of one.

I mean we are talking a GB of storage here and a hell of a lot of bandwidth and you would have to revert to paid hosting - classifed under a large corporate site to offer that.

The cheapest option would be to shove the files on CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…