Hosting a Discussion Forum

Wirral Bagpuss 18:03 28 Jul 05

Hello !
I am currently deputy manager of a very successful discussion forum for deaf people called The Deaf Tribe. At the moment it is located on the frebb.com site but we want to set up with a professional server ie 123.co.uk and host our own site. But how do we build our message board, and can we transfer our successful site to the new server?

Forum Editor 00:23 29 Jul 05

All you need is some discussion forum software, and away you go. Presumably you'll be buying yourselves your own domain name, so of course you'll have to notify your present forum members of the new url.

The move will mean a lot of hard work for those of you who run the forum, but once you have it operating smoothly on the new server it will be worth it.

Wirral Bagpuss 01:18 29 Jul 05

Ahh ! Discussion Forum Software, can you advise what where how and cost? !!! :D

Forum Editor 07:46 29 Jul 05

They are among the most popular and most fully featured forums available, but of course there are many others - just run a search and you'll see what I mean.

Invision board
click here

phpBB
click here

jgosden 21:02 29 Jul 05

The best forum software is vbulletin click here

It is expensive but if you wish to go for a really good forum software it is well worth it as it is very powerful, i own a licence and use it on one of my sites and its been well worth it!

Taran 00:33 30 Jul 05

My own preference is for Invision and phpBB, in that order.

Arguing over which is better than the other seems pointless at this stage until you know what your requirements might be.

Everything is a trade off - some systems are easier overall to use as an administrator but may have fewer features for users while others may be complex to install and manage.

It all boils down to what you want from your forum.

Taran 00:52 30 Jul 05

What I meant to add was that you can run any of the common web languages that you might want, but a PHP and MySQL solution will notmally be less expensive in the long term.

PHP and MySQL hosting is usually far cheaper than IIS or ColdFusion, and several of the best forum programs currently available are either free or paid for but written in PHP, and all of them have strong support if you get stuck or encounter problems.

HighTower 10:59 17 Aug 05

I have used phpBB a few times and I like it. Dead easy to set up and free!

If you are looking for a cheap host you can get unix hosting at Low Cost Names, click here, for around £50 a year, and they throw in a mySQL database free. For high volume perhaps look elsewhere, but for an average site you would find them fine. I've got 4 phpBB installations on their Unix hosting without issues.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…