hosting

louandel 12:34 12 Nov 05

Hi
Im really new to building web sites. I've just built one by using "coffee cup" html editor and ive just downloaded bulletprooff ftp.
Still about vague about what I should be looking for in a possible host. any recommendations?
What is a domain name? will i be able to transfer from coffe cup.? I have been looking at Lycos web hosting which looks good but some of the applications within it ask for system requirements called:mysql. Anybody any idea what this is. I know I havent got it.

thanx for your time

Louandel

mco 13:02 12 Nov 05

Hi louandel
A domain name is a www. something you want to call your website . com but you don't have to buy one; often you can put your site online with free space from either the people you get your internet connection from or some companies that will give you freespace. I use lycos and they are fine - they do freespace ('tripod') or paid, but if you're looking for paid space with a domain name there will be cheaper out there. Another site I'm doing will be on WebMania. BTW the stuff about mysql and other things lycos talk about - you don't need to worry about; you can just operate at your level and build up gradually. (I don't know what it means either but I've had a site with them for a couple of years.)

Forum Editor 14:21 12 Nov 05

is a server-side databasing application, and most sites which have any kind of login, or access to data will probably be running a MySql database on the server. Pretty well all 'proper' hosting packages will have at least one MySql database included in the price.

peterk92 15:03 12 Nov 05

i use this it is dead dead cheap and the server they run on i believe is just been updated so id use that its good

louandel 15:28 12 Nov 05

this will help me on my way. thanx to all those who took the time to answer.

Louandel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…