horrible monitor problems....

lancsDavid 13:28 11 Mar 08

what follows is a summary of a rather unusual situation (which i would love if one of you could help shed light on)...

1. turning on my old/current PC involves wiggling the power cable around in the PSU. it crackles, but eventually boots up (causing my old CRT monitor to spring to life)

[ P.S: graphics card is a GeForce3 Elsa Gladiac; as old as the hills ]

2. on connecting my new PC up to my old monitor, nothing happens. ie:- the little orange light on the monitor (which usually goes green when the monitor switches on) stays orange & the monitor remains lifeless

[ P.S: my new computer's graphics card is an 8600gt - which has dual DVI out, so in this case i'm hooking the monitor up to it using a dongle ]

3. my dad's somewhat newer CRT switches on fine with both my old & new PC's

4. recently, i can't even get my old computer to switch my old monitor on. or rather, when i switch the computer on nothing happens immediately, but if i come back 15 minutes later the screen is a colored mess of giant pixels

this giant pixel pattern actually turns out to be the BIOS screen (i know this cos if i enter a combination of the ESC, ENTER & Y/N keys i make the computer boot up as normal)

so, what's going on?????

i'm guessing my old PCs' graphics card is ok (the GeForce3), cos once the computer gets past the BIOS screen everything's fine

then again, maybe one of you knows something i don't

anyway, would love some illumination

(thanks in advance for any help)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…