Horizontal lines when printing with Canon ip4500

renard 22:38 26 Mar 09

My Canon ip4500 printer usually works perfectly, giving excellent photo results. Recently however, photos, pictures etc print with noticeable horizontal lines, as though a print head has run backwards and forwards across the page.
Sometimes the lines are broad, other times they are quite fine, but still there.
When I print a test nozzle pattern, there are blocks of fine white lines in each colour and BK.
I have cleaned the heads twice and performed deep cleaning once, with no noticeable result.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

John B 10:33 27 Mar 09

Have you checked 'print head alignment'?

iscanut2 10:53 27 Mar 09

How old is the print head ?

FatboySlim71 22:32 27 Mar 09

I had the same problem with two Canon printers I owned, both of them were less than 18 months old when the problem appeared, no amount of head cleaning or different cartridges made any difference in my case.

Since then I have never bought another Canon, I always buy HP printers now has I find them much more reliable. I have owned my HP printer for nearly 3 years, in all that time I have never had to run a head cleaning cycle on it.

Wak 16:02 28 Mar 09

If the print head is on the cartridge, try standing the cartridge in 1/4" of hot water and leave until cool. Then press print head on to damp paper tissue for a couple of minutes.
Dry well before replacing in the printer.

renard 22:01 28 Mar 09

Thanks for the above responses. I am grateful to you for taking the time.

1. Print head alignment is OK.

2. The printer is about 15 months old.

3. I was interested to note that FatboySlim has also experienced this. Interestingly enough, I had the same problem with my last Canon printer and my daughter is getting the same with hers, which is only 6 months old - both of these were different model Canons to my present one. I wonder if there could be an inherent fault with Canons?

4. As for the hot water tip, I will give it a try. But it seems strange that ALL five cartridges should give the same faulty showing on nozzle check. (And to be honest, I really don't know whether the print heads are on the cartridges!)

Thanks again, everyone.

I wonder - is anyone else having this problem with Canon printers?

keverne 07:57 29 Mar 09

Try here

click here

FatboySlim71 08:36 29 Mar 09

Has I mentioned above, I even tried different cartridges but I still had the problem, this makes me think that the only thing then that could be causing it was a problem/fault with the printhead.

I hope you get it sorted out renard.

peter99co 15:31 29 Mar 09

Is it possible to change printint preferences to Photo or Text only? because this can be the problem

I go into Properties with an Epson and modify type of paper or photo enhance etc.

renard 22:53 29 Mar 09

1. Thanks, peter99co. It happens when I follow Canon's wizard to 'print photo on photo glossy paper', so I don't think that can be the problem.

2. FatboySlim - click on daconnor's very useful link above and have a mooch around. There seems to be a wealth of evidence that soaking the print head to clean it thoroughly can do the trick in many cases of printer problems. You will see that wak recommended something similar above. I am now trying to screw up the courage to remove the print head and soak it etc. !!!

Many thanks to daconnor and other respondents.

FatboySlim71 23:16 29 Mar 09

Thanks renard.

I would try your suggestion, but I got rid of my Canon printer nearly 3 years ago. Although I must admit, I wouldnt feel confident trying to get to and remove the print head, it seems a lot to do on a still relitively new printer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…