//some 3rd party need geo

Hooray! got rid of Homepage hijacker

gedr 11:52 31 Jan 05

I suppose most people will know all this, but it might help someone who doesn't.
I'd had this for some time but got round it by having shortcut to any other website and go online via that. This is XP Sp2
I had tried various ways to shift it, even using m/s knowledge base, recently I found out by going to IE/tools/internet options/program tab there is a button to click " Reset Web Settings " and that done the trick.
The whole problem is dealt with at click here
can't create link, don't know how. ( hint ).

Still have one more problem, when shutting down it gets as far as " windows is shutting down " and it stops there for ages and ages before closing.

Cheers all, gedr.

ChrisRLG 12:55 31 Jan 05

The shut down problem is probably because the hijacker is NOT completely removed.

They often leave links in services and the registry that DONT get removed by the anti-malware programs.

If you need assistance a Hijackthis log would show any problems. Post a HJT log here can be a problem - the boards software is not very helpful - you can post on any of these forum click here for assistance (or mine that is not yet a member click here although I am personally.)

Hijackthis is available from click here

ChrisRLG
Proud Member of ASAP click here

Micro-Man 13:15 31 Jan 05

See the posting on click here specifically all the stuff from Nellie2. I've sorted out a few computers using things I've gleamed from this and other similar postings. In the main you need Hijackthis, About Buster, AdawareSE, Spybot S&D and CWShredder. Still it's best to read and inwardly digest all the links to the likes from Tomcoyte's forum and Castle Cops forums, (better still save the pages and follow + save all the links) to have the best chance of success.

Horray for Nellie2 and similar helpful folk!

ChrisRLG 10:21 01 Feb 05

Micro-Man

Thanks for the plug for TomCoyotes - I am an admin (and classroom teacher) at that forum and work very closely with nellie2.

The best advise for about:blank is to not try to clean yourself - often you can drive the malware deeper into the registry with each failed attampt at a removal. While live it will self update too when it can.

If infected start with adding firefox as your browser.

To that list of anti-malware tools you should add AVG7 which has proved very affective against the second version fo AB. Also Registry Lite is often required to remove the traces from the registry too. The Norton fix for the 1st version too.

Micro-Man 13:16 01 Feb 05

I suppose a mention of Task List from click here should also be made together with a reminder to update all the removal programs before running them in safe mode.

Sorry ChrisRLG that I didn't mention you in my previous posting.

ChrisRLG 14:30 02 Feb 05

That OK - no problem - I don't post much here - no time :)

If you have a HJT posted here I can be contacted at cjwd-pca AT hostingatessex.com (replace AT with @ )

I would be happy to help - dont realy like the boards software here for HJT logs though - would prefer them to post at TC or my own forum as previously posted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…