Honest John's inaccessibility

nickhick 18:14 29 Aug 07

In recent years and until last Wednesday, I visit click here regularly for all matters motoring. However since last week I can only access that website with extreme difficulty and perseverence, as in so doing a window in IE6 comes up with the message "Internet explorer has encountered a problem and must close.........." or words to that effect.
I use Windows XP and have not upgraded to SP2 but have all of SP1's upgrades. I don't see why I can't, easily access that website any more when I CAN access many dozens of other websites which I do on a daily basis.
Nothing has changed in my privacy or security setting, I should hasten to add. Other people have told me that they haven't had any trouble in accessing it. I've also been told to try another browser such as Firefox but feel loathe to do so just so that I can access honestjohn!

Kingfisher 18:22 29 Aug 07

why not try IE7 you have nothing to lose, you can uninstall it and you will then be back at IE6

birdface 18:27 29 Aug 07

Well I use I/Explorer And Firefox,it only takes a couple of seconds to change from one to another.It may be worth it until you get your problem fixed.Googled your problem you might find something to help.click here

Stuartli 18:36 29 Aug 07

One or two other members of this particular forum have been experiencing similar difficulties - part of the reason is most likely due to a number of changes to the website since the beginning of this month.

Stuartli 18:37 29 Aug 07
  nickhick 18:55 29 Aug 07

Thanks very much for your suggestions. Funnily enough but tonight I got on straight away! I know that there have been many changes to the website (Stuarli) but people have said that I must be in denial and that my IE6 must be at fault.
The fix/es mentioned above seem to me to be for those with SP2 aleady installed?

setecio 19:47 29 Aug 07

Possibly a corrupted cookie or temp internet page .... delete cookies and temp internet files.

Stuartli 23:40 29 Aug 07

I fail to understand why you have not installed SP2 (which also incorporates SP1).

If you install SP2 (and you should IMO), you can fully update it using AutoPatcher. See:

click here

This is updated every month for this purpose (WindowsUpdate normally does security updates etc).

johnnyrocker 23:53 29 Aug 07

ie 6 xp pro sp2 and no probs with the site, you just might have a virus, have you run full updated scans?

johnny.

Stuartli 00:06 30 Aug 07

Most people don't have any problems with the site despite the current changes - however, as I stated earlier, some forum members have found themselves in the same situation as nickhick.

johnnyrocker 00:12 30 Aug 07

i was being led by the "windows needs to close" message posted which from memory stemmed from a fairly virulent virus some time back.

johnny

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…